If a disabled person lives in your household and special adaptations have been made to the property to help with that person's needs, relief may be available. Examples of special adaptations include:

  • a room provided to meet the special needs of the disabled person (e.g. for storing dialysis equipment)
  • an extra bathroom or kitchen is provided for the person with the disability
  • extra space is created inside the dwelling to allow for the use of a wheelchair

This relief tries to ensure that disabled people are not disadvantaged by having to pay more tax because of extra space needed. Please note that the use of a private garage for a motor vehicle used by the disabled person is not one of the circumstances which qualify for a reduction.

If you qualify for relief your Council Tax bill will be reduced to that of a property in the band immediately below the band shown in the Valuation List. For example, if your home is in band C, your Council Tax bill will be reduced to the equivalent of a Band B dwelling. This will not, however, affect the value of your home or its banding in the Valuation List.

If your home is in Band A, from 1st April 2000 you will qualify for a reduction if the criteria are met.

How to claim

Apply online

Disabled reduction application form

If you disagree with the Council's decision about Disabled Person's Relief, you can contact us explaining what you object to and why. If your bill indicates that Disabled Person's Relief has been allowed, you must inform us of any change of circumstances that affects your entitlement. If you fail to do so, you may have to pay a penalty.

Page last updated: 
9 November 2017
Was this page useful?