Your home is put into one of eight valuation bands depending on the amount your property might have sold for on the open market value as at 1 April 1991. It is not based on its current market value.

Valuation bands

A - Up to       £40,000
B - £40,001 - £52,000
C - £52,001 -  £68,000
D - £68,001 - £88,000
E - £88,001 - £120,000
F - £120,001 - £160,000
G - £160,001 - £320,000
H - £320,000 and over


Appeal against your band.

The valuation is not done by the council but by the Valuation Office Agency, which is part of HM Revenue and Customs. Details of all property bands are available on check your council tax band.

If you think that the valuation of your property is wrong, you can appeal if:

  •  it is within six months of your purchase of the property and you think it is in the wrong band
  •  the whole, or part, of the property has been demolished
  •  the surroundings of the property have changed.

You must continue to pay your council tax bill while you have any banding query or appeal pending.

Further details are available on the Valuation Office Agency website.

Page last updated: 
21 March 2019
Was this page useful?