How do I register?

Complete the form below or contact Newcastle City Council via email at

Food Business Registration form (Pdf 348KB)

What is a registration?

The registration of businesses used for a food operations including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures, is required by law. It involves completing a very simple form which details of the name, address, type of food business, the foods handled, the name of the proprietor, address of head office or registered office, number of people engaged in the food business and whether or not it is a seasonal business.

It is an offence to give false or incomplete information.

Why register?

Article 6 of EC 852/2004 requires food business operators to notify local authorities of their business operations.

The purpose of the registration is to provide information for the Local Authority, which is responsible for enforcing food law, about the food businesses within its area so that it can target inspection and education programmes effectively.

The obligation to register and notify changes to the Local Authority lies with the proprietor of the food business. The form which businesses use to register their premises is part of the Regulations and can be found as an attachment at the bottom of this page. The form can be used for all Local Authority areas as it is standard throughout the country.

Who needs to register?

All food businesses have to register unless exempt, you must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the Local Authority about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with a permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse you only need to tell the Local Authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles, but no permanent premises, you must tell the Authority where they are normally kept.

The majority of premises will have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, e.g. some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls. You should contact your Local Authority if you think you might be exempt.

When do I register?

Anyone starting a new food business must register with their Local Authority at least 28 days before opening.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard by the end of the target completion period which is 28 days from the date of submission of all correct and relevant information.

Is there a charge?

There is no charge for registration and Local Authorities cannot refuse to register premises.

Does it run out after a period of time?

Registration does not need periodic renewal. However, it is the responsibility of the proprietor to notify the Local Authority of any changes in the detail provided.

What happens to my information?

The Local Authority is required to keep a register, containing the name and address of the food premises concerned and the type of business operated there. Apart from this, the remaining information on the form is confidential. The information cannot be revealed to anyone except an authorised officer of another enforcement authority or to a police constable. 

For more information please contact the Food Safety Section on: 0191 2787878 and ask for "food".

Contact Details

Food Safety service
Public Safety and Regulation
Civic Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne

Phone: 0191 2787878 and ask for the "Food service"

e mail:


Eugo Logo

Page last updated: 
30 August 2018
Was this page useful?