The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 has now replaced the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and the Motor Salvage Operators Regulation 2002.
Provisions of the new Act include the following:
- The requirement for metal dealers to satisfy their local authority that they are a legitimate trader;
- All sellers of metal must provide verifiable identification at point of sale which is recorded and retained by the dealer;
- A cashless offence will apply to all scrap metal dealers including 'mobile/itinerant collectors' who conduct house to house collections;
- There will be two types of licence available: a site licence or a collector's licence;
- There will be a single national publicly available register of all scrap metal dealers maintained by the Environment Agency.
There are fees (pdf, 40 kb) applicable for this service.
Under the new Act the City Council must not issue a licence until satisfied that the applicant is a suitable person to carry on business as a scrap metal dealer. In the case of a partnership this means assessing the suitability of each of the partners in the partnership, while in the case of a company it means assessing the suitability of any directors, company secretaries or shadow directors.
How to apply
As part of the new application process applicants will be required to provide a Basic Disclosure certificate for these persons from Disclosure Scotland to submit along with their application form.
Scrap Metal Licence application form (pdf, 154 kb)
Scrap Metal guidance notes (pdf, 65 kb)
Newcastle City Council Licensing Authority areas map (pdf, 1.4 mb)
This information has no legal force and is not an authoritative interpretation of the law, which is a matter for the Courts. It is intended to help businesses to understand in general terms, the main features of the legislation. The information is not a substitute for the legislation and you should refer to the text of the legislation for a full statement of legal requirements and obligations. Where appropriate, you should seek your own independent legal advice.
For further information or clarification please contact:
Newington Road East
Newcastle upon Tyne
Phone: 0191 2783864