The following information is designed to help you understand your legal responsibilities and help you get your food business off to a good start.


All food business are legally required to register the business with this authority 28 days before starting to trade. There is no fee for registration it simply involves completing a form.

Register food business


The following legislation and related EU Directives will apply:-

The Food Safety & Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013 SI 2013 No.2996



Food Hygiene Requirements

Always seek advice from your Environmental Health Officer before starting any work. Your EHO will be able to give advice regarding design of catering premises, correct food handling techniques, food hygiene training and food safety hazard analysis.

The "Starting a New Food Business" leaflet may help.

Food Hygiene Training

Food Hygiene Training Page


The regulations lay down specific rules on hygiene for some businesses which handle foods of animal origin and supply them on to another business. It is an offence to handle foods of animal origin without approval by the Local Authority. There are certain exemptions for retail premises. If you are unsure whether your business requires approval please contact the food safety team.

Approval of a Food Business Establishment (Pdf 238 kb)

Planning Permission

The use of any premises (including domestic) for food business purposes may be construed as a change of use and you are advised to seek the views of the Planning Department.

Hot Food takeaways

A new Supplementary Planning Document is now relevant to any business thinking of operating a hot food takeaway, For more detailed information go to our webpage SPD Hot Food takeaways.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it using the contact details below.

New business checklist

  • Have you registered your business with us?
  • Do the design, layout and construction of your premises meet the Building Control and Planning legislative requirements?
  • Do you and your staff understand the principles of good food hygiene?
  • Have you and your staff had food hygiene training?
  • Have you considered what food safety problems there could be at each stage of your business?
  • Have you put the necessary food safety procedures in place and are you making regular checks to make sure they are working?
  • Do you have a pest control contract?
  • Do you have a refuse collection service?
  • Have you considered Health and Safety and Fire Regulations?
  • Have you registered as self-employed?
  • Do you need to register for VAT?
  • Do you describe food and drink accurately?
  • Do you need to apply for a licence to sell alcohol?

Contact Details

Food Safety Service
Public Safety, Regulation and Development
Civic Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne

Phone: 0191 2787878 Email:

Eugo Logo

Page last updated: 
13 December 2017
Was this page useful?