Apply and Pay

You can use our online forms:

Or you can phone 0191 2787878 and ask for "Envirocall."

Please note we are only able to accept payment by credit or debit cards.


What is a bulky waste collection?

Bulky waste items are domestic waste items that you cannot easily dispose of in your domestic waste bin.

Bulky waste could include:

  • Heavy items such as a 3 piece suite
  • Large items such as domestic white goods including fridges, washing machines and cookers.
  • Smaller items such as an ironing board or a TV unit.

We cannot take:

  • Car parts or waste oil
  • Timber over 6ft 6 inches
  • Clinical waste
  • Waste from commercial premises and businesses
  • Paint or other liquids
  • Double glazed units and window frames, glass shower doors and screens
  • Garage doors

For more details check our list of what we can/cannot take:

Full list of items we can/cannot take

What do I need to do?

  • All loose items, garden waste and rubble must be bagged, with any loose timber or branches bound together. Crews cannot clear piles of timber and rubbish. If you have dismantled a bed frame or a wardrobe, please secure the bits together in bundles. Make sure any bags you use are strong.
  • Hedge cuttings and prunings must be tied into bundles with string. Crews cannot take piles of loose cuttings.
  • Any items containing glass - such as TV units or cabinet doors -  need to be securely taped to minimise risk from breakages. We can also take broken glass if it put in a cardboard box and sealed with tape.
  • All items that are for removal need to be listed. This is to avoid any items being taken by mistake.
  • The collection will take place from the most accessible point of the property, usually your wheelie bin collection point. In the majority of cases, this will be the front of your property.
  • Please ensure that items are left for collection at the edge of your property and do not leave them on roads or pathways. For insurance reasons, our collection staff cannot enter houses or garages. All items must be left outside, visible and/or accesible from the road.
  • We also ask that items are placed out no sooner than the night before your collection is due. Collections begin early in the morning and continue until early evening. If your collection point is a back lane, we strongly advise that you put your items out at 6.30am on the date collection is due, and not the night before.
  • Make sure soft furnishings are dry. We cannot take sofas, carpet, mattresses or armchairs that have been out in the rain. If crews come out for a collection and find the items soaked, you will not be eligible for a refund.

What are the costs?

We charge:

  • £40 for each heavy item.
  • £10 for each large item.
  • £20 for up to 8 small items.
  • £70 for each special large item
  • £40 for each special small item

Special items are things that are not classed as day to day general waste items. They are not things that you would normally take with if you were moving house for instance. If you have an item for collection that is not on the lists, please use the "item not on list" option.

You can still take these items free of charge to our Household Waste Recycling Centres. Remember fridges and freezers can only be taken to the Walbottle site. If you want to use a van, pick up truck, trailer or any vehicle with a business logo to take items to the Household Waste Recycling Centres you'll need a permit. You can apply for these by text message and you can find full details here.

Producers of waste can be liable to prosecution (and a £5,000 fine) if someone else disposes of their waste illegally. If you use a waste collector other than the council, you have a legal duty to ensure you only use someone authorised by the Environment Agency.

Please ensure you know how a waste collector intends to dispose of your waste. Ask if the person or company taking the waste away is a registered waste carrier and ask to see copy of their registration certificate. It is the law to do so.

Take a note of the name of the collector and the vehicle's details. If you are in doubt about someone, check their details with the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506 and ask for an instant Waste Carrier Validation Check or check online on the Environment Agency's Website. If they are not registered, refuse the service and let us know.

Where can I take unwanted furniture?

If you have good quality furniture or other items, you may be able to get them reused or recycled via a charity or local community groups. Some of these offer the collection service free of charge. Please click here for more details.

Cancellations and refunds

Refunds can only be given if the cancellation is received at least a working day before the collection is due. If your collection is already booked and you need to cancel then call Envirocall on 0191 2787878.

If crews attend your property and items are not correctly presented you will not be eligible for a refund.

If you put our more items than you have paid for crews will leave them. So please take care when counting your black bags or bundles of prunings.

Return to the top of the page

Page last updated: 
26 November 2018
Was this page useful?