Asbestos in Your Home

If you have any asbestos you will need to contact a private contractor to arrange removal and collection safely. Asbestos is not accepted at any of our Household Waste Recycling Centres. If the contractor is working on the asbestos in your home, they may need to be licensed by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Please refer to the HSE’s advice pages for further information If the contractor transports the asbestos, they must be registered with the Environment Agency.  Ask to see these documents as it is your legal duty to check. It is advisable to obtain a receipt and a copy of the consignment note. The movement of the asbestos must comply with the Hazardous Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2005

Asbestos should not be disturbed by cutting, drilling or breaking it. If you need any physical analysis or require removal we advise you contact analytical service providers that specialize in asbestos that can be found in the telephone directory or by a general internet search engine. We would recommend the use of analytical services that are UKAS accredited.

For more information on asbestos and asbestos licensing / asbestos licensed contractor visit the Health & Safety Executive Website

For further information, please contact the Commercial Team, Public Safety, Regulation and Development, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH. 
Phone: 0191 2787878 Email:

Domestic Hazardous Waste

Our Household Waste Recycling Centres can accept the follow domestic hazardous waste:

  • Household batteries
  • Car batteries
  • Fluorescent tubes and Compact Fluorescent Lamps (low energy bulbs)
  • TV and computer monitors
  • Engine oil
  • Gas bottles
  • Fridges and freezers - Walbottle site only

Household chemicals, pesticides and anything you think may be hazardous should be given to one of our attendants for safe storage and disposal. Please note that we do not accept oxygen/acetylene bottles or other similar compressed gas bottles which need to be taken to the correct organisation. This is normally labelled on the canisters themselves.

Page last updated: 
6 December 2018
Was this page useful?