Commercial and Clinical Waste Disposal

Our commercial waste services

The requirements of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 place a Duty of Care on all producers of commercial waste to ensure all waste is sorted and disposed of responsibly.

Charges will apply for the following services: 

  • Waste containers.
  • Special waste collections. We can arrange additional collections of waste and some hazardous items outside of contracted agreements for a separate charge.
  • Clinical waste collections.
  • Garden and vegetation waste disposal at Sandhills (see below).

We do not provide:

  • Commercial waste disposal sites. Please contact your own commercial waste service provider/contractor for this information.
  • A commercial bulky item collection service
  • Skips. If you wish to place a skip on the highway, you will need to obtain a skip operator's licence.
  • Clean up services for commercial waste spillage. 

Developers and provision of Wheeled Bin Containers

Newcastle City Council has a developer guidance document which outlines the required provision of waste and recycling collection storage facilities.

The Council no longer provides free of charge wheeled bins for household refuse and recycling for new properties. The Council is seeking from developers an undertaking to pay for delivery and administration costs for the provision of bins. These charges are a one off cost for the administration and delivery of the bins; the bins remain the property of the City Council. Alternatively, developers are required to provide containers which meet the specification outlined by the Council.

When the resident moves on from the property, the bins remain for the next resident to use. Bins must not be moved between properties by residents.

Please contact our Trade Waste Team for guidance and assessment.


Phone: 0191 2783034 or 0191 2651414

They can advise on the following:

  • Refuse and recycling storage for residential developments
  • Arrangements for sepreation and storage of waste for recycling
  • Access requirements for collection
  • It does not cover specialised materials e.g. healthcare, food, hazardous waste

The attached developer guidance flowchart sets out the process.

For advice on refuse provision please contact:

Public Safety and Regulation


Phone: 0191 2787878

Disposal of trade garden and vegetation waste

Sandhills is a council owned facility located on Walbottle Road in Newburn which accepts good quality garden and parks vegetation from trade customers (for example, landscapers and gardeners). Find out more on the Sandhills webpage

Report a problem with trade waste

If you experience any problems with businesses not disposing their waste in the appropriate manner, officers from the council's Public Health Department can be contacted for advice about enforcement issues. Phone 0191 278 7878 and ask for Environmental Health or email

For further information on Trade Waste please contact:

Trade Waste


Phone 0191 2783034 or 0191 2651414

Page last updated: 
24 October 2018
Was this page useful?