What to do if you need help, or if you think a child is in need or at risk of harm

  • Contact us directly on 0191 277 2500
  • Ask a midwife, health visitor, doctor, school or any other professional who knows your family
  • Ask a friend or relative to contact us for you.

Not every crisis occurs during office hours, for emergencies contact the Emergency Duty Team on 0191 278 7878.

Initial Response Service

We are the first point of contact for anyone who is worried about a child's safety or welfare.

We are a team of professional people with a legal duty to safeguard children, especially those who are at risk of being abused or neglected and will be the first to respond to any concerns.

Initial Response Service
Children's Social Care
Wellbeing, Care and Learning Directorate
Civic Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne

Phone: 0191 277 2500
Fax: 0191 277 2477


We will collect all the details you give us about your situation and the things that might affect the children. This will tell us what support you and your family need and who are the best people to help you.

We will start the assessment immediately and this will be completed within seven working days. Sometimes a further assessment is needed but this is only if the situation is complicated.

One of the team - or a social worker - usually meets you and your family and will talk to you about your situation and why we are assessing your family.

If your children are old enough, the social worker will include them and help them answer questions.

If anyone else, like your health visitor is already helping you, we'll probably talk to them too, but we'll tell you before we do.

Comments and complaints about Children's Social Care

We really like to get feedback on our service.

If you have any complaints, comments or suggestions about Children's Services, we'd like to hear from you.

Page last updated: 
14 July 2017
Was this page useful?