Central Station – the Central Gateway to Newcastle
Over £24.5m of improvements to Central Gateway – which includes the area in and around Central Station – is being delivered through a partnership of Newcastle City Council, NE1, Virgin Trains East Coast and Network Rail.
A plan of the agreed improvements is available here (pdf 559.97 KB)
Our improvements include:
• refurbishment to the inside and outside of the Central Station, making it one of the most impressive stations in the country, whilst retaining its historic origins
• new glass portico with ticket machines, cafes and retail units, creating a light and airy environment for travellers and shoppers
• an enhanced area around the station for pavement cafes and increased public space
• improved cycling facilities
• improving public transport links around the station – including the £2.5m of improvements to the Metro Station
• a new taxi hub will be built- to the west – which will make it quick and easy for train passengers to get in and out of cabs
There has been considerable investment around the area with new hotels, businesses and entertainment venues, creating a lively and cosmopolitan area around the station.
We have further plans for Central Gateway and we will be consulting widely with residents and businesses for their views in Autumn 2015.
Important Information for motorists accessing the station
As part of the improvements, we’ve made some changes to the road layouts and how vehicles access the station’s car parks. Routes to the car parks are clearly signed. You can print a handy leaflet here. (pdf 352KB).
CCTV will be used to enforce these changes and fines will be issued.
Short Stay Car Park
Accessed via traffic signals on Bewick St – no left turn is permitted from Neville St. The best way to approach the short stay car park is from St James’ Boulevard and onto Westmorland Road – Clayton Street West – Bewick Street.
Long Stay Car Park
Cars travelling from the west must turn left at the Westgate Road/Neville Street junction and follow the road along Collingwood Street and St Nicholas Street to access the long stay car park. For details on parking charges, please refer to the LNER website.