Giving Notice of Intention to Marry or to Form a Civil Partnership

If you are an EU or EEA National planning to marry this year, please read this information.


Giving notice is a legal requirement. A valid notice of intent must be given in person by both partners at the Register Office in the district where they reside, or at a Designated Register Office if one or both of you are subject to immigration control.  Newcastle Register Office is a Designated Register Office.


Requirements to give notice

You must both have lived in the district where you are giving notice for 7 full days.  This does not include the day you arrived in the district or the day you give your notice.

Notice must be given a minimum of 28 days before your ceremony, or 70 days beforehand if one or both of you are subject to immigration control. Notice can be given a maximum of 12 months before your ceremony. We recommend giving your notice around 6 months before your ceremony.



Giving notice is by appointment only.  If you live in Newcastle or are subject to immigration control please contact us to make an appointment.  If you live outside Newcastle upon Tyne please contact your local Register Office.


The fee to give notice is £35 per person and this is payable at the time of booking your appointment.  An additional fee of £12 may be required at your notice appointment if you are subject to immigration control and your notice is referred to the Home Office.

Information needed to give notice

At your appointment you will be asked to provide the following documents to prove your identity:

  • A valid passport or full birth certificate (a parent's birth certificate may also be required in some circumstances)
  • Proof of address - a bank statement dated within one month; a utility bill dated within three months; a council tax bill dated within 12 months; or a valid UK driving licence
  • If applicable, a decree absolute or death certificate for any previous marriage
  • If applicable, a dissolution document or death certificate for any previous civil partnership
  • If applicable, any name change document if you have legally changed your name since birth
  • The name of the venue where you intend to marry or form a civil partnership

Please be aware that this is not an exhaustive list and other documents may be required.  It is your responsibility to ensure that the legal preliminaries are completed and to produce all the necessary documents.

What happens after the appointment?

Your notice of marriage will be displayed in the Register Office for 28 full days. If we don’t receive an objection, then a certificate for marriage will be produced on the 29th day. Or, if applicable, the certificate for marriage will be produced once the Register Office receives approval from the Home Office. Once the certificate is issued, your marriage can go ahead.

Certificate of No Impediment

If you intend to marry or form a civil partnership abroad you may need a Certificate of No Impediment.  You should ask the authorities in the country where you plan to marry if you will need to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment, or have it legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.


Marriages Involving EU or EEA Nationals

In order to marry in England or Wales a Registrar must attest a notice of marriage. The General Register Office has advised that there is no intention to make any changes to the existing scheme on or immediately after the UK has left the EU. The longer-term position remains unclear, but EU and EEA citizens seeking to marry in 2019 and early next year can be reassured that their marriage will not be affected by changes.


Back to the top

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?