Council Tax - Tell us about any changes
Please remember that you must tell the Council of all changes in circumstances that affect the amount of council tax you pay within 21 days of the change, whether this means that you pay more or less. If you fail to do this the Council will impose a penalty of £70.00, If you fail to tell us on more than one occasion the penalty may be increased to £280.00.
Let us know if you have a change regarding a discount, relief or exemption - please contact the Council Tax team for further assistance.
Council Tax Change of Name
Please complete this form to amend the name of the liable person(s) name as it appears on the council tax bill (e.g. if your name has changed through marriage, if it is spelt incorrectly, your first name does not appear in full, etc.). The liable person for the property should complete this form
Council Tax Single Person Discount
If you're the only person over 18 in your home, you may be entitled to claim a 25% reduction in your council tax bill.
To qualify for the discount you must have already registered with us to pay council tax in Newcastle Upon Tyne.
If you no longer qualify for a single person discount let us know.
Council Tax - Tell us about a move
If you are moving house please tell us no more than 14 days after your move so that we can send you a correct bill. You can tell us that you have either moved in, moved out or have moved from one address to another within the city of Newcastle upon Tyne.
We will need to know the following details:
- Full names of all adults in the household.
- If you are an existing council tax payer in Newcastle it will help to have your current account reference number to hand
- Full address details
- Landlord details if you are renting
- Solicitors details if you have bought or sold a property
- Bank details if you wish to pay by Direct Debit
Landlords: Changes to a tenancy
It is important to tell us if any of your tenancies change. Tenants do not always tell us straight away when they have moved into or out of a property.
Landlords are liable for Council Tax when our records tell us their properties are empty.
Council Tax Support - change in circumstances
It is very important that you tell us about any changes in your circumstances within 21 days of the change.
If you get Universal Credit you must inform the Department for Work and Pensions of your change in circumstances.
Changes you must tell us about;
- you or anyone living with you gets a job (no matter how many hours they work), changes their job or leaves their job
- you or anyone living with you receives any pension
- any of your children leave school or leave home
- anyone moves into or out of your home (including lodgers and sub-tenants)
- your income (including benefits) or the income of anyone living with you changes
- your capital, savings or investments change
- you or anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a training scheme, or goes into hospital, nursing home or prison
- you move address
- you or your partner are going to be away from home for more than a month
- anyone in your household dies
- you receive any decision from the Home Office
- or anything you have already told us about changes
You must tell us about any changes. Do not rely on someone else to pass the message on.
This is not a full list.
If you cant find what you are looking for please look on the Council Tax useful forms