Apply for a mobile working platform
Notes for applicants
These notes are to clarify the procedures for a licence application. The application form will clearly state what we require from yourself and what you can expect from Newcastle City Council.
- Mobile Elevated Working Platforms (MEWP) can also be referred to as Cherry Pickers.
- If you are to be working with a MEWP and your work is on the adopted highway then you will be required to have a licence.
- You will need to apply for a licence at least 5 working days in advance of your work.
- The licence fee per vehicle is
- £47.52 for 1 day for 5 locations
- £142.56 for a 5 day licence for 25 locations
- £190.08 for a 7 day licence for 35 locations
- The application and submission process is entirely on line
- You will need to provide the following:
- Completed application form
- Sketch of proposed traffic management
- Site location plan
- Public Liability Insurance of £10 million and Employers Liability of £10 million
- This licence should be displayed at all times on the vehicle.
- Any extension to a existing licence will be need to be requested prior to the existing licence expiring.
As an applicant you will be expected to provide the necessary pedestrian and vehicular access traffic management through Chapter 8.
The responsibility for all health and safety on site rests with the principal of main contractor. This also relates to public safety and to ensure compliance with the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER).
Our Streetworks Inspector will visit the site and assess accessibility once the application form has been received.
How to apply
- When you have applied your application will be processed. If we need to discuss any element of your application we will contact you directly
- When approved you will be sent the signed licence to display in your vehicle