We arrange communication support for people who are deaf, hard of hearing or deafblind.

We can arrange British Sign Language (BSL)/English interpreters, lipspeakers, notetakers, deafblind interpreters and speech to text reporters.

Contact us for more information

Phone: 0191 211 5094
Email: communication.support.service@newcastle.gov.uk
Fax: 0191 211 4888
Textphone: 0191 211 5197 

Communication Support Service
Room 161, Civic Centre
Barras Bridge
NE99 2BN

Booking information

There is a limited number of people with communication support skills in the North East so please give us as much notice as possible.

All interpreters charge a minimum of two hours whether the booking is for 10 minutes or the whole two hours hours. For meetings or events of longer than two hours it is often necessary to book more than one interpreter. It is always necessary to allow for breaks particularly if only one interpreter is used.

After 6pm and at weekends a minimum of three hours will be charged, the rate being time and half. There is an administration fee payable in addition to this. You will also be required to pay travel costs.

Our cancellation policy

15 days or more notice - no charge                                  
eight to 14 days notice - half charge
seven days or less notice - full charge

Confirmation of service booking

We will send written confirmation of the booking giving the name of the person providing the service, date, time and venue to:

  • the person who makes the booking
  • the deaf, deafblind or hard of hearing person attending the appointment
  • the person providing the communication support service

Payment for communication support services

Newcastle City Council will pay the cost of communication support services when we need to communicate with you about Council services. If you need communication support for appointments with other public services you should let them know when you make the appointment.

We are not able to pay for communication support services for personal appointments but we can make the arrangements for you and send you an invoice for you to pay.

Page last updated: 
4 February 2014
Was this page useful?