We have set up a dedicated Coronavirus/COVID-19 webpage. Click here or go to

Business Rates Reliefs and Exemptions

Business rates are payable on both occupied and unoccupied assessments. However, there are a number of reliefs and exemptions which may apply.

Mandatory and discretionary rate

Charitable relief can be granted to registered charities carrying out charitable activities. The level of relief is set by the Government at a mandatory 80%. The council has the discretion to decide whether non-profit making organisations should be treated as if they are registered charities. If an organisation is granted charitable relief by the council then it is entitled to 80% mandatory relief. The council also has the discretion to award an additional 20% 'top-up' relief to non-profit making organisations.

New applications for Discretionary Rate Relief from 1 April 2017 onwards

  • Where an organisation occupies only one property and that property has a rateable value of less than £12,000, the council will apply Small Business Rate Relief. This option will be reviewed every year.
  • Where an organisation occupies only one property and that property has a rateable value between £12,001 and £14,999, the council will apply Small Business Rate Relief if the level of Small Business Rate Relief is higher than the Charitable or Discretionary Rate Relief.

Elected Members will only consider requests for additional reliefs in exceptional cases, where the organisation has no recourse to other funds, balancing the additional cost against the benefits to the achievement of the councils objectives. Any approvals will be on a time limited basis.

If you are a Registered Charity or a Charity that is exempt from registration you can apply for relief.


Application for Relief


Discretionary Rate Relief Policy

Community Amateur Sports Clubs

Organisations that are registered as CASC with the Inland Revenues Sports Club Unit are entitled to receive 80% relief from business rates.

In order to apply for this relief you will need to provide a copy of the registration certificate supplied by the Inland Revenue and make an application below.


Application for Relief

Village shop Rate Relief

Some properties in rural areas can receive help with their business rates. A rural area is defined as a settlement with a population of no more than 3,000 which is wholly or partly within the area.

The rural areas which can apply for this relief are highlighted in our current rural settlements list. The list, which will remain in place for the year commencing April 2017 contains the following settlements:

  • Dinnington
  • Brunswick

We can offer 50% relief to the following businesses that are situated in rural areas:

  • Post Office - where it is the only Post Office in the settlement and has a rateable value of less than £8,500.
  • General Store - where it is the only General Store in the settlement and has a rateable value of less than £8,500.
  • All Food Store - where they have a rateable value of less than £8,500.
  • Public House - where it is the only Public House in the settlement and has a rateable value of less than £12,500.
  • Petrol Station - where it is the only Petrol Station in the settlement and has a rateable value of less than £12,500.

We also have the discretion to offer up to 100% relief on any Non-Domestic property in a rural settlement.

We can only use our discretion to offer this relief if we are satisfied that the property is used for a purpose that benefits the local community.


Relief for partly occupied properties

If part of your business property is empty, and will remain so for a short time only, you could apply for relief. We will need to know how much of the property is empty and we will arrange for a Valuation Officer to provide a certificate which outlines the proportion of the property which is occupied.


Further information regarding Rate Relief for partly occupied properties



If your business has suffered hardship that has been caused through exceptional circumstances we can grant discretionary rate relief. Please contact us to find out more about this or use the form below to apply for this relief. 


Business Rates remission application form


Business rate exemptions

Some properties are exempt from Business rates.  The District Valuer will not include an exempt property in the Valuation List. Appeals against an entry in the list should be made to the District Valuer.

Exempt properties:

  • Agricultural land and buildings (e.g. arable, meadow or pasture ground; buildings used in connection with agricultural operations on the land and with the keeping and breeding of livestock).
  • Fish farms.
  • Fishing rights (where these are exercisable in a fishery which is regulated by specified legislation).
  • Places of religious worship (where these belong to the Church of England or the Church of Wales. For other religions, the property concerned must be certified under the Places of Worship Registration Act 1855. This exemption includes church halls and similar buildings, provided they are used in connection with a place of public religious worship).
  • Trinity House property (e.g. lighthouses, buoys and beacons).
  • Sewers and accessories (e.g. drains, sewers, manholes, ventilating shafts and pumps. The exemption does not apply to sewage farms or sewage disposal works).
  • Property of Drainage Authorities (e.g. structures used for controlling or regulating the flow of water into or out of a watercourse on a main river).
  • Parks (provided they are under the management of a relevant authority and are available for free and unrestricted for use by members of the public).
  • Property used for the disabled (e.g. properties providing facilities for the welfare and training of disabled persons)
  • Air raid protection works (e.g. air raid shelters).
  • Swinging Moorings (i.e. a buoy attached to an anchor which rests underwater).
  • Road crossings over watercourses (e.g. bridges, viaducts or tunnels constructed to allow river crossings). Property in Enterprise Zones.

Properties exempt from unoccupied property rates:

  • Properties formerly occupied for more than 6 weeks (exempt for three months).
  • Industrial properties (i.e. where no part has been built or adapted for the purpose of retailing goods or services).
  • Properties where occupation is prohibited by law.
  • Properties where occupation is prohibited by action taken by the Crown Court or any local or public authority.
  • Listed buildings (subject to a preservation notice under s.58 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971). Ancient monuments (as scheduled under s.1 of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979).
  • Properties with a rateable value of less than £2,600.
  • Unoccupied properties where the owner is entitled to possession only in their capacity as the personal representative of a deceased person.
  • Unoccupied properties where the owner is subject to a bankruptcy order or a winding-up order under the Insolvency Act 1986.
  • Unoccupied properties where the owner is entitled to possession only in their capacity as a trustee under a deed of arrangement or as a liquidator under the Insolvency Act 1986.

All of the above are stated in broad terms. Within each of the classes a number of conditions may need to be met before the exemption is satisfied. If you need further details about any of these classes, please contact the Business rates section.

Relief for local newspapers (office space)

The Government is providing funding to local authorities so that they can provide a discount worth up to £1,500 a year on office space occupied by local newspapers. This was due to run for two years from 1 April 2017. At Autumn Budget, the Government extended the scheme for an additional year (2019/20). This scheme provides up to a maximum of one discount per local newspaper title and per hereditament, and up to state aid limits. The relief will be delivered through local authority discretionary powers (under section 47(3) of the Local Government Finance Act 1988). Eligibility criteria for this relief is set out in a guidance note: "The case for a business rates relief for local newspapers", which can be obtained at

To apply please contact the Business Rates Team.


Spring Budget 2017 Relief scheme: Supporting Small Business

Ratepayers losing Small Business or Rural Rate Relief as a result of the 2017 revaluation will have their increases limited to the greater of either (i) a cash value of £600 per year, or (ii) the matching cap on increases for small properties in the transitional scheme. This relief will run until the next revaluation in 2021 and ratepayers will receive the relief until this date or they reach what their bill would have been without the relief scheme, whichever is first.

This relief will be delivered through local authority discretionary discount powers (under section 47(3) of the Local Government Finance Act 1988).


Contact us

Phone: 0191 278 7878 (ask for Business Rates Team)
 8am to 6pm Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
 8am to 4.30pm on Friday

Our phone lines are closed on Wednesday


Fax: 0191 277 4762

Write to us at:
 Business rates
 Newcastle City Council
 Civic Centre
 Newcastle upon Tyne
 NE1 8QH

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?