New contact centre opening times

Contact Centre opening times will be changing from Monday 28 October, find out the revised opening hours.

Frequently asked questions

How do I find out if the Council owns a property or a piece of land?

The Land Terrier is a register of the Council's land and property. Information is available for inspection by arrangement. There is no charge at present for this service.

Phone: 0191 211 5530, 0191 277 7035 or Email:

I have been told that the Council does not own the land, where can I go for further information?

The Durham District Land Registry has details of the owners of registered land and you may be able to search for details of ownership on-line at

I want to buy my Council House, what do I do?

Visit Your Homes Newcastle for more information on how to buy your council house under the Right to Buy scheme.

How do I rent a garage from the Council?

Visit Your Homes Newcastle  for more information on renting a garage in Newcastle.

How do I rent an allotment plot from the Council?

Allotments are now managed by Newcastle Parks Trust. For further information about the Trust and finding an allotment plot visit

How do I go about buying additional garden land adjacent to my property?

If there is land adjacent to your property you may be able to buy it through the council, whether or not you live in a former council property. For enquiries please contact Andrew Richards on 0191 277 8936 or email

Please note that you will need to state the reason you wish to purchase the land. Garden land comes with restrictive covenants against development, which must be removed. Building or extending on to garden land without removal of the restrictive covenants will usually come to light at the most awkward time possible - when you come to sell your home in the future.

I pay ground rent to the Council and the lease says I have to register any assignment. What do I do?

You or your Solicitor should, within 1 month of the assignment, send a copy of the assignment together with the appropriate registration fee, to the Head of Commercial Law, Legal Services, Civic Centre, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE99 2BN. This will enable your details to be amended on the Council's corporate property management records to prevent a billing being addressed to an incorrect address.

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?