New contact centre opening times

Contact Centre opening times will be changing from Monday 28 October, find out the revised opening hours.

Make a Complaint about Children's Social Care

Firstly, if you have a problem

We want to try to fix any problems by talking to you and discussing what issues you have. So if you have a complaint we’d like you to get in touch with us first. You can phone, write or come in to see us.  This way we can solve any issues quickly and easily.

How do I make a complaint?

If we cannot sort out your problem to your satisfaction, you can make a complaint in person, by phone, letter, and email .

What happens when I make a complaint?

We deal with most complaints under the statutory social care complaints procedure. The law tells us how we must deal with these complaints. There are three stages to the complaint procedure.   Sometimes we deal with complaints under the city council’s
complaint procedure.

We will tell you which procedure we will use to deal with your complaint and why.

The statutory social care complaints procedure

Stage 1

  • When you make a complaint, we will write to you  to say which manager will sort out your complaint.
  • The manager will try to sort out your complaint and give you a written response within 10-20 working days.
  • We will keep you updated on the progress of your complaint.

Stage 2

  • If you are not happy with the manager’s response to your complaint, you can ask for an investigation under stage 2 of the complaints procedure.
  • If you want your complaint investigated at stage 2, you must inform the Complaints and Customer Relations Team within 20 working days of getting the manager’s response.
  • You can ask the Complaints and Customer Relations Team for an information sheet which tells you more about stage 2 of the complaints procedure.

Stage 3

  • If you do not agree with the findings and recommendations of the stage 2 investigation into your complaint, you can ask for the review panel to consider your complaint.
  • You can ask the Complaints and Customer Relations Team for an information sheet to tell you more about the review panel at stage 3.

Getting in touch

You can contact us at:

Complaints and Customer Relations Team


Newcastle City Council

Floor 4

Civic Centre


Telephone: 0191 277 7427 (Weekdays 9am to 5pm)


Other people you can talk to

Advocates are people who can offer independent advice and support to young people who want their wishes and feelings heard.

National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS)
Phone: 0300 330 3131

Local Government Ombudsman and Ofsted

You can also contact the Local Government Ombudsman and Ofsted about your concerns and complaints.

Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

Phone: 0300 061 0614

Ofsted North
Piccadilly Gate
Store Street
M1 2WD
Phone: 0300 123 1231

Your Information

Please note the information you provide may be recorded by us electronically.  All information will be treated as confidential and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act. 

Did you know?

You can read our annual complaints report by clicking this link: 2017-18 CSC Complaints Statutory Annual Report (FINAL).pdf.


Need more information?

Contact us by telephone:  0191 277 7427

Contact us by email:

Contact us in writing:
Complaints and Customer Relations Team
Children’s Services Directorate
Newcastle City Council
Civic Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?