Reporting Hate Crime
Reporting hate incidents and hate crimes in Newcastle
Hate crime, such as racist, homophobic, religious, transphobic or disability incidents, should not happen, but they still do. Nobody should suffer because of who they are and nobody should have to put up with it. You can do something about it.
If you, your family or friends are having problems because of your 'race' or skin colour, this is a racist incident.
If you, your family or friends are having problems because of your sexual orientation or transgender identity, this is a homophobic or transphobic incident.
If you, your family or friends have been targeted because you have a disability then this is a disability hate crime.
Some types of these incidents, such as verbal abuse and threats are obvious. Other examples, such as damage to your property, bullying or rude gestures are harder to identify. If you believe you have experienced a hate incident, even if you have no proof, report it.
How to report a hate incident/hate crime in Newcastle
You can report a hate incident whether it’s about you, someone else or something you've seen.
You can report anonymously or have your details passed onto the police so that action can be taken or to local services who can provide you with support. In an emergency always call 999.
In Newcastle, hate incidents and hate crimes can be reported to our third party reporting process through Stop Hate UK www.stophateuk.org/talk-to-us/
Stop Hate UK provides independent and confidential Hate Crime reporting services for Newcastle, whether you are a victim of Hate Crime, you have witnessed incident you believe to be a Hate Crime or you are a third party to an incident that could be a Hate Crime.
Stop Hate UK are here 24 hours a day:
- On the phone: 0800 138 1625
- Chat on the web: (go to www.stophateuk.org/talk-to-us/. You can chat live to one of their operators. Please note that it may take a few minutes to connect to an operator
- In an email: email@example.com
- In a text: 07717 989 025. Texts are charged at your standard network rate
- With text relay: 18001 0800 138 1625. For people who are deaf, or have speech or hearing impairments
- In an online form at www.stophateuk.org/talk-to-us/
- In the post: PO Box 851, Leeds LS1 9QS
- Report Hate Crime in BSL using InterpreterNow: www.stophateuk.org/talk-to-us/