St Mary's Catholic School, Benton Park Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE7 7PE.
Teacher of History
THIS IS A CATEGORY "E" POST.
Please note that in all cases written references will be taken up and made available to interviewers BEFORE the final selection stage; even if you indicate otherwise
MPS/UPS: £24,373 - £40,490 per annum, depending on relevant teaching experience.
This school has Academy status and you will be employed by the Board of Trustees.
St Mary's Catholic School
Benton Park Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Number on Roll c.1400
Headteacher: J Foster.
Required for September 2020.
The Governors wish to appoint an excellent Teacher of History to contribute to our flourishing History department at St Mary’s. The role may appeal to candidates seeking their first teaching post or, equally, to recently qualified or more experienced teachers, looking to develop in an outstanding school, which is totally committed to History. There will be opportunities to teach post 16 History for experienced candidates. St Mary’s is a great place to work and provides excellent job satisfaction, as it is a very supportive environment. We provide excellent CPD for NQTs and recently qualified teachers, as well as on-going training for more experienced teachers. There are opportunities for teachers at all levels to help develop teaching and learning across the school, working collaboratively with teachers from other departments, whether as coaches, researchers or SLEs. The working environment is, therefore, a very stimulating one for all staff and is an added attraction of this post.
St Mary’s is a very popular school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. We became an academy in 2013 and enjoy outstanding facilities in a new building, which opened in 2011. We are also very popular with parents and are one of the most over-subscribed schools in the north-east. We have around 1,200 students in the main school and our Sixth Form, of over 220, is expected to grow to 300 in the next three years. In addition, we are a Teaching School, increasingly engaged in school to school support, initial teacher training and CPD and leadership development across the region. As a result, further opportunities for professional development are wide-ranging and an added attraction for potential new staff.
At St Mary’s, History is a well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:-
• 40% of a large GCSE History cohort achieved at least a Grade 7 in 2018, with 75% achieving Grade 5 or higher. These were well above the national averages
• 41% Grade 7+ in GCSE History in 2018, and 69% Grade 5+
• Outstanding Progress as part of the GCSE Humanities Value Added score of 0.5 in 2019. Progress was also in the top 5 in the North East in 2018 and top in 2017
• 71% of A Level History students achieved A*-B in 2019 and 86% at least a C
• 85% A*-B and 100% A*-C was achieved in A Level History in 2018
Leadership, teaching and the climate for learning in History are all outstanding, as they are across the whole school.
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a teacher with:-
• A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
• A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
• A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
• An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
• The ability to promote a love of learning History in our students
Application packs are available to download from our school website, or by e-mailing the Director of Finance and Support Services, email@example.com. If you require any further information about the post, please do not hesitate to contact John Foster, Headteacher or Suzanne Fisher, Senior Assistant Headteacher on 0191 215 3260.
Closing date: 9.00am on Monday 24 February 2020.
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
As this post involves working with children, vulnerable adults or dealing with sensitive information, written references will be taken up and made available to interviewers before the final selection stage; even if you indicate otherwise.
24 February 2020