Our Libraries are free, mostly
Our Libraries are free, mostly
So much of what Libraries do is free to use. However, there are some charges that we must make.
Anybody can join Newcastle Libraries for free and it costs nothing to borrow books, eBooks or CDs. Our board games, DVDs and Blu-rays are free to borrow.
It's free to use our WiFi or People's Network Computers with internet and access to scanners. Many of our libraries have a customer freephone so that you can phone other council services.
Non-members are welcome to use any of our reference facilities for free.
Loan Period - How long can I borrow something for?
- Books, audiobooks, toys and board games: 4 weeks.
- eBooks, eAudiobooks, DVDs and Blu-rays: 2 weeks.
We no longer make overdue charges if you return an item to us late. Please do your best to return borrowed items by their due date so that someone else can enjoy them. Often, you can renew an item free of charge. But we will make a charge if:
- the item is damaged when returned, or
- you fail to return the item at all.
It is free to reserve an item which is in-stock at Newcastle Libraries. It's free to suggest that we buy a particular new book.
- There is a charge of £6.89 if you would like us to borrow from another library on your behalf (known as an inter-library loan). There is a further charge of £6.89 if you wish to renew an inter-library loan. Reservation charges do not apply to people who are registered blind or sight-impaired and under 16s.
There are charges for printing and photocopying as listed below:
- A4 Black and white: 20p per sheet
- A4 Colour: 40p per sheet
- A3 Black and white: 40p per sheet
- A3 Colour: 80p per sheet
Children are allowed up to 5 copies for homework purposes free of charge.
Lost, stolen or damaged items
A charge will be made dependent on the age and current value of the item, subject to a minimum charge of £5 for adult books and £2.50 for children's books.
If you fail to return an item borrowed through the inter-library loan service, you will incur a standard charge of £141.60.
- Standard research: £30 per hour to a maximum of 2 hours.
- Other Local Studies charged services: detailed on application.
Patent and trademark searches: these services are currently only offered to eligible small or medium enterprises through the Business & IP Centre's Pathways to Innovation project, funded by the European Regional Development Fund. For more information please contact the BIPC team at email@example.com.
Fiche and film reader printouts
- 20p per A4 sheet
Photographic copies for reproduction
- Details on application to Local Studies.
All photocopies, printouts and photographic reproductions are subject to copyright regulations.
Hire of rooms and display cases
Contact individual libraries for availability and hire charges. For more information visit, meeting rooms and exhibition space at City Library.
Sale of withdrawn library stock
Library books and other items are offered for sale to the public when they are withdrawn from stock. All items are priced individually.
Tyne Bridge Publishing, library publications and souvenirs
- As individually priced.
Donations to stock
We welcome donations to stock, but unfortunately we are not always able to add all the items to stock. When this happens we reserve the right to dispose of any items that we are unable to use. We are unable to return items that are not selected for stock. It may take some time for the donated items to appear on the library catalogue.
If you would like to give us feedback on our website, please complete this short online form.