Licensing Act 2003 - Personal Licences

Licensing Act 2003 - Personal Licences

Personal licences for the sale or supply of alcohol

Personal Licences are granted by the Local Authority in which the applicant normally resides, not the Local authority where they work. The licence is valid throughout England and Wales and lasts indefinitely. Anyone can apply for a Personal Licence, even if they do not currently work in an alcohol licensed premises, so long as they meet set criteria.

A personal licence is required if you wish to supervise the sale of alcohol for consumption on or off any premises covered by a Premises Licence.

New Applicants

An applicant will be entitled to the grant of a personal licence if they meet the following criteria:

  • they are aged 18 or over
  • they possess a licensing qualification accredited by the Secretary of State or are a person of a description prescribed by the Secretary of State
  • they have not had forfeited a personal licence within 5 years of their application
  • they have not been convicted of a relevant offence or any foreign offence (a conviction for a relevant offence or a foreign offence will be disregarded if it is spent for the purposes of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974)
  • they have the legal right to live and work in the UK. When applications are submitted proof of this right will need to be included.

When an applicant has an unspent conviction for a relevant offence, the Licensing Authority will liaise with Northumbria Police. If Northumbria Police object to the applicant becoming licensed, the application will be referred to a Licensing Sub-Committee. At that hearing the Sub-Committee will consider carefully whether the grant of the licence will be in the interests of the crime prevention objective. It will consider the seriousness and relevance of any conviction(s), the period that has elapsed since the offence(s) were committed and any mitigating circumstances, but refusal of the application will be the normal course unless there are, in the opinion of the Sub-Committee, exceptional and compelling circumstances that justify granting the application.

Applicants for personal licences should disclose to the Licensing Authority any previous licences held by them.

How to apply

  • Read advice notes
  • Complete application form
  • Complete disclosure form relating to convictions of relevant offences, immigration offence or penalties
  • Submit original accredited personal licence qualification (this will be returned)
  • Complete online application form
  • Provide two photographs of the applicant
  • Submit a basic disclosure check issued by the Disclosure and Barring Service. The Certificate must be dated within one calendar month of application.
  • Enclose documents which demonstrate the entitlement to work in the UK
  • Fee of £37. Cheques should be made payable to 'Newcastle City Council'. If you wish to pay by card please send an e mail to the address below.

Return to: Licensing Authority, Public Safety and Regulation, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH


Change of Name or Address

  • The holder of a personal licence must inform the Licensing Authority in writing as soon as is reasonably practicable
  • If this relates to a change of name you must enclose supporting legal documents
  • Pay the fee of £10.50
  • Return the original personal licence and summary for amendment.


Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?