Sex Establishment Licences

Sex Establishment Licences

Sex establishments are required to be licensed under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.

A Sex establishment can either be a sexual entertainment venue, sex shop or a sex cinema.

  • A sexual entertainment venue is a premises where relevant entertainment is provided for sexual stimulation of the audience, which can consist of one person.
  • A sex shop is a premises used for business which consists to a significant degree of selling sex articles (defined)
  • A sex cinema is any premises used to a significant degree for showing of films which are concerned primarily with, or relate to, or are intended to stimulate sexual activity.

How to apply

The law defines the way in which an application is made, which include advertising notice of the application in the local press and displaying a notice outside the premises for a specific time period to give any interested parties the opportunity to comment by a statutory closing date.

When considering an application for a sex establishment licence the Council may only consider the following criteria:-

  • The suitability of the applicant
  • The location and situation of the premises in relation to other premises in the vicinity
  • Whether the number of sex establishments in that locality is equal to, or exceeds the number which the Council considers appropriate for the area. (At the present time the Council has not determined any such areas or the maximum number of sex establishments it will licence.)

Right to Appeal

  • any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence or by any condition to which a licence is subject may appeal to the Magistrates' Court.
  • an appeal against a decision made at the Magistrates Court may be appealed at the Crown Court but the decision of the Crown Court is final.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No.  It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it using the contact details below.

Contact Details: Licensing Authority, Public Safety and Regulation, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?