Appeal a Parking Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)
All representations (appeals) must be made in writing to Newcastle City Council and we would recommend that if you wish to appeal to do so via the dedicated Penalty Charge Notice appeals page which will then automatically place your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) on hold whilst your appeal is being reviewed. If your appeal is received within the first 14 days after the original PCN) is served (or 21 days if the PCN was served following enforcement by an ANPR camera - in these cases the PCN Notice number begins with NU90) the discounted penalty charge rate will be re-offered to you if your appeal is rejected, for a further period of 14 days.
If you do not have the PCN reference number (starting with NU…) to hand, please ring 0191 278 7878 and quote “Parking”. If you can provide your vehicle registration number, we will be able to trace and provide the PCN reference number you need to submit an appeal.
Before you decide to challenge your PCN or Notice to Owner, please take a look at our Penalty Charge Notice appeals page. The page will provide you with the most common reasons which the Council receives in regards to Penalty Charge Notices that are appealed and will offer advice on what information may be expected from you when submitting your appeal, using the dedicated online appeals form which can be found on the appeals page.
It may take up to 24 hours from the time of issue for the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) to be downloaded and appear on this system.
The Penalty Charge Notice online appeals page allows you to submit an appeal and also view information regarding where, when and why the PCN was issued plus any supporting images taken by the Civil Enforcement Officer at the time the PCN was issued. This is a joint facility that can also be used for making payment.
The online appeals form allows up to 3 JPEG or PDF files to be attached to support your appeal, with a maximum file size of 5MB. We would recommend that you attach any evidence you believe supports your appeal, in order to aid the earliest consideration of your appeal.
Other ways to appeal
- by post to Newcastle Parking Services, P.O. Box 2BL, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE99 2BL. Please quote your PCN number, vehicle registration and your full address in your appeal.
- by completing an appeal form in person at any Community Hub (formally known as Customer Service Centres). Please see the Community Hub webpage for details of locations and opening hours.
- if you are unable to appeal using any of these methods please telephone 0191 278 7878 quoting "parking" for further advice.
Please see the PATROL () website for more detailed information on the parking penalty enforcement process.
Data Protection Information
Personal data has been collected in order to serve the PCN and enforce the parking terms and conditions. As a contravention has occurred, your personal data may be collected, processed, shared and retained in order to carry out the performance of a public task and fulfil our legal obligations in the following ways:
• To request details of the registered keeper of the vehicle from the DVLA in order to pursue a PCN
• Shared with third parties for appeals and enforcement.
• To establish eligibility for a permit.
• To support enforcement of the parking permit scheme restrictions.
• Shared with the police or security organisations to prevent or detect crime.
Your Data Rights
In relation to the personal data which we may hold about you, you have the right to request to:
Be informed, have access or rectify incorrect information. You also have the right to object to or restrict our processing of your data.
Under Data Protection law we must verify your identity and explain to you our reasons if we do not agree to carry out your request.
Contact and Further Information for Data Protection queries only
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at .