Payments are currently suspended. 

As a precautionary measure, we have taken the decision to temporarily suspend our online payment system while we investigate an issue with our supplier. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Apply for a Road Opening Notice

Apply for a Road Opening Notice

If you need to request a Road Opening Notice for works on the highway, download our Road Opening Notice application form.

If you are not covered as a recognised utility company then for the purposes of applying for road opening notice you are classed as a contractor.

The New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA), supported by relevant Regulations and Codes of Practice, provides a legislative framework for street works by undertakers (including utility companies) and works for road purposes to the extent that these must be co-ordinated by street authorities.


Do I need a Road Opening Notice? Yes if your works involve any excavation in the adopted highway or have any impact of the traffic flows
How do I apply for a Road Opening Notice? You will need to apply by completing our Road Opening Notice application form and providing the details as requested
What we require from you the applicant Completed form and details as noted in Note 1 (Sections A-F) in the guidance notes
What we will send to you We will send out an authorised and signed licence for your records. Following reinstatement we require a Reinstatement registration form to be submitted

Minimum notice period of notice required

If you require temporary traffic lights then please use the table below to identify the notification period

Category of work

2 way

Multi Phase

Immediate or emergency works By agreement with our Highway Control Assistant By agreement with our Highway Control Assistant
Minor works 10 days 20 days
Standard works 10 days 20 days
Major works 20 days 20 days

Charges and Duration

The current charge is £220 however if the licence needs to be extended then further charges will apply. The licence is for a maximum of 3 months.  If a extension is required then please make contact with the Highway Control Assistant and this will incur additional charges

Contact details

For any details or queries you can contact the Streetworks Admin team

You may find the web sites below useful
New Roads and Street Works Act
Safety at Streetworks
Considerate Contractors


Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?