Apply for permission to do work to your home

Apply for permission to do work to your home

Firstly, it is important to consider whether you need planning permission. Please read this important information, guidance and links.

If you do need planning permission, you may benefit from getting advice on your proposals before you submit a planning application. For information on how to get pre-application planning advice for household applications, please see here

There are different type of permissions depending on the nature of the work you are undertaking:


1. Planning Permission for a Household Application


2. Apply for Household Lawful development Certificate


3. Apply for Household Prior Notification


4. Apply for other types of permission


Did you know?

Building Regulations consent is completely separate from Planning Permission and you should always check both before starting any work.

Internal and external work to your property might still need consent from Building Regulations even if you do not need Planning Permission, and vice versa.

Our colleagues in Building Control can offer advice on this. 

Need more information?

An A to Z of common words used in the planning process can be found on the Planning Aid website.