As we emerge from the impact of lockdown, there are a large number of unemployed young people in Newcastle who are bursting with potential and eager to begin their career. The Kickstart Programme is a Government initiative that provides funding to employers to create 6-month job placements for 16-24 year olds on Universal Credit. It provides employers with:
- 6 months’ salary paid at 25 hours per week at National Minimum Wage.
- Employer pensions and national insurance contributions
- £1500 to contribute to the costs associated with establishing the role and to provide training and employability support throughout the employment.
For full details of Kickstart, visit the Government web pages.
Employers can either apply to the scheme directly to the Department of Work and Pensions, or through a Gateway organisation that can help with the process. To apply directly to the DWP without the support of a Gateway, access this Government Kickstart Application Portal.
Newcastle City Council works closely with three local Gateway organisations, that can help with the process of applying for Kickstart funding, and with taking on and training Kickstart applicants. These are:
- North of Tyne Gateway, which works with employers across Newcastle, North Tyneside and Northumberland, and offers additional support for employers and employees once they take up their Kickstart role
- Your Homes Newcastle Gateway which works with employers across Newcastle, North Tyneside and Gateshead and can help with identifying the right candidates and supporting recruitment
- Reviving the Heart of the West End Gateway a Charity based in the west of Newcastle who can we can help you secure your placements, provide wrap around support for each Kickstarter, and links to wider training, business advice and guidance
We recommend that smaller employers use one of the above Gateway organisations, or one of many other Gateways. To search for another Gateway organisation, visit Find a Kickstart Gateway.
Sole traders are not eligible to apply for the Kickstart Scheme directly through DWP or through a standard Gateway. They must use one of four national Gateway Plus organisations. Details of these can be accessed here.
If you have any further questions about Kickstart,email email@example.com and we’d be happy to help.