Apply for a Mobile Cranes licence

Apply for a Mobile Cranes licence

Notes for applicants

These notes are to clarify the procedures for a licence application. The application form will clearly state what we require from yourself and what you can expect from Newcastle City Council.

In our Duty of Care as a Highway Authority, a licence must be obtained from us to use certain types of lifting equipment either on or over the public highway

The primary responsibility for all health and safety management on site, especially with regard to public safety and compliance with The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER), rests with principal or main contractor, any sub contractors on site and the project client.

A crane licence is required from any contractor who intends to place a mobile crane on, lift from and/or over sail the public highway, either with load or just jib.

This licence is to allow a mobile crane to over sail the public highway and it does not take away the responsibility for the Developer/Contractor to seek approval for over sailing private property.  If they are over sailing private property as well as public highway, evidence will be required that the Developer/Contractor has informed residents that their property will be over sailed by the crane jib.

You will have to consider the transportation of any mobile crane and accessibility to streets/sites. Through conversations with Officers, it may be identified that there may be a requirement for a road to be closed or permission for an abnormal load within the city.  This should be discussed with our Traffic Management Section and further charges may apply.

There must be no lifting over a live carriageway lane or pedestrians.

The Licensee shall maintain full comprehensive public liability insurance and employer liability insurance both in the sum of not less than ten million pounds (£10,000,000.00) for any one occurrence or series of occurrences arising out of one event against liability to any person arising from the erection, operation, maintenance, dismantling, transportation and removal of the Cranes or exercise of the rights granted by this License ("Third Party Insurance"), upon such term and with reputable insurers and the Licensee shall ensure that:-

Our Highway Control Officer will assess accessibility once the application form has been received.

How to apply

Apply for a mobile cranes licence

When the application is made it will take approximately one month for completion and signature. If a road closure is required this process may take longer.

The cost of the licence is £92.60 for each 24 hour period.

You must provide the following:

  • Completed application form
  • Sketch of proposed traffic management 
  • Site location plan
  • Public Liability Insurance of 10 million and Employers Liability of 10 million
  • Payment 

The work will be inspected by the Highway Control Officer who will discuss any problems with the applicant.

The licence will be provided when the dates for carrying out the work have been confirmed and licence fee paid.

You may have to give up to three months advance notice of the work depending on its duration and impact on traffic.

The licence is time limited.

If you require any additional information, please email


Address: Newcastle City Council, Place Directorate, Transport, Unit 6 Wincomblee Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 3PF
Phone: 0191 211 6403

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?