Crisis Support

This scheme is being administered by the Revenues and Benefits team, to qualify you must be a householder in Newcastle upon Tyne and:

  • have suffered a disaster or crisis; and
  • have a risk to the personal health and safety of you or a member of your household; and
  • be unable to secure funding from any other source.

Crisis Support will cover the provision for food, clothing, fuel for heating and expenses for emergency travel to cover short term periods of crisis or disaster. There are no cash payments available and the value of support given will depend upon the needs of the person making the application. The scheme is intended for people with no access to funding or support from any other source.


Crisis Support Application form


If you have any difficulties completing your online application form, you need to take a note of your 8 letter reference and call 0191 278 7878 and ask for Crisis Support.

Please note there is no out of hours service for Crisis Support and a decision on an application will only be made during opening hours. Applications received before 1pm will have a decision made by 5pm on the same day. Applications made after 1pm will have a decision made by 10am the following working day.

There will be a maximum of three awards given within a 12 month period and we will monitor all applications, and where necessary direct to alternative support services to prevent on-going crisis or disaster.

Crisis Support is not available if:

  • You are awaiting an award of benefit from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and there is a delay and you have no money. In these circumstances you can apply for a short term benefit advance which was called a benefit alignment payment. To do this you need to contact the DWP on either 0800 328 5644 if you are awaiting an award of Universal Credit or 0800 169 0310 if you are awaiting Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance. You must tell the DWP that you require a short term benefit advance not a crisis loan.
  • You require a budgeting loan or budgeting advance. A budgeting loan will help to pay for essential things like rent, furniture, clothes or hire purchase debts and the smallest amount you can borrow is £100.


Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?