The Building Regulations set out the acceptable standards for health and safety in and around buildings by imposing certain functional requirements for the design, construction and alteration of buildings. The regulations also impose certain standards to promote the energy efficiency of buildings and the needs of people with disabilities.

How to apply

You can submit your Building Regulations application on-line through our association with Submit a Plan.  This is the Local Authority Building Control national portal for making electronic Building Regulation applications to any local authority in England.

Alternatively, you may wish to email your completed building regulation application forms and supporting documents / drawings to us directly via email at If submitting your drawings electronically please ensure these are to scale.

What information will I need before I apply?

Building Regulations and Planning Consent are not to be confused.  These are different application processes, under different legislation and regulated by separate Council departments.  Please refer to Planning Application pages for advice on planning permission matters.

Will my project require a Building Regulations application?

Most alterations, extensions and new building work needs to comply with Building Regulations. The building regulations apply to many different projects from large to small. With regard to households for example this could include extensions, loft conversions, knocking through between rooms, moving or creating a new toilet or bathroom, electrical work, window replacement and converting a garage to name but a few typical projects.

To find out if the Building Regulations apply to your proposed project you can view the interactive house at Here you will also find a number of project guides to assist you in understanding the relevance of Building Regulations to certain projects.

If you are in any doubt as to whether your project needs to comply with Building Regulations please discuss this with your appointed architect / surveyor or contact the Building Control Section for advice.

How much will it cost?

Charges are made to cover the cost of the building regulation application service.  Details of current standard charges can be found by referring to the relevant guidance note below.

Building Regulation Application charges with effect from 1st April 2019:

How long will it take?

If Building Regulations apply to your project you will need to submit a Building Regulation Application to the local authority. Usually you will be able to submit your Building Regulation Application using one of two methods known as a 'full plans' submission or the 'building notice' procedure. The difference between these two Building Regulation Application types is explained in our e-book available at the following link.

You may also wish to refer to our e-book for advice on:

  • Building over or close to shared drains and sewers
  • Building control site inspection procedure.
  • What you may do if you have carried out work without first obtaining building regulations consent.  The 'Regularisation procedure'.
  • Advice on building work which is exempt from Building Regulations consent
  • You will also find advice on the Party Wall Act and getting the work done

The Tyne & Wear Building Control  ‘Guide to extending your home', ‘Guide to renovating your home’ and ‘Custom Build Guide’ ebooks provide a useful source of information and advice to homeowners in planning building work. These handy guides can be accessed at:

Other guidance notes available:

These publications are also available from the Building Control Service. Please contact us if you wish to obtain a copy.

Other ways to apply

Building Regulation Application Forms


If you require advice, the Building Control Section can be contacted as follows:
Phone: 0191 278 7878 and ask for Building Control, office hours are 8.30am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday
In writing to:
Newcastle Building Control Services, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.

Page last updated: 
3 April 2019
Was this page useful?