Our site is in Beta Live, we welcome your feedback to help us improve the site.
Getting out and about
- community transport
- Motability car scheme
- Nexus TaxiCard scheme
- concessionary travel pass
- blue badge scheme
Community Transport hire out minibuses with drivers to community groups at reasonable rates. They provide:
- 16 seater minibuses
- accessible minibuses with lifts and wheelchair-friendly interiors.
- drivers who are trained to the Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme standard and first aid trained
- advice with travel arrangements
- Hop to the Shops scheme to help older people get to the supermarket
Motability is a charity which provides mobility solutions for disabled people. This includes help to lease a car, powered wheelchair or scooter.
To be eligible for the Motability scheme you must receive one of the following benefits:
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
- Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- the Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
Nexus provide an accessible travel service in Tyne and Wear called TaxiCard. The TaxiCard scheme is for those who have a disability or impairment that means using public transport is difficult.
What is the TaxiCard?
The TaxiCard is a smartcard which is the same size as a credit card. You use it to pay for part of your journeys by taxi.
There are two opportunities each year to join the TaxiCard scheme: in February and August.
How do I register to become a member of the TaxiCard scheme?
You’ll need to complete a TaxiCard application form which are available from the Nexus TaxiCard team. You can also download the TaxiCard application form or collect a form at any of the Nexus Travel Shops.
Am I eligible for a TaxiCard?
You can apply for a TaxiCard if you are
- registered as severely visually impaired or blind
and/or receive any of the following benefits:
- high Rate Mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
- higher Rate Attendance Allowance
- personal Independence Payment (PIP) – with a minimum ‘Moving Around’ score of 8
Did you know?
InformationNOW has more information on travel and transport in Newcastle.