Help to find a home

Help to find a home

If you are looking for a home or needing to move there are a number of options available in Newcastle with a range of advice and support to assist you should you require it.

Social Housing 

Tyne and Wear Homes is the name of the choice-based lettings scheme which is a partnership between Newcastle City Council, Your Homes Newcastle (YHN) and many housing associations in the city. It is an easier way to find out about your social housing options and apply for a home all in one place. Once you have registered with Tyne and Wear Homes, you can manage your application online. "Choice-based" means that you "bid" for properties instead of being put on a waiting list and having a property offered to you. Tyne and Wear Homes advertise available properties every week and you can find these advertised in your local housing office or by accessing the Tyne and Wear Homes website 

Tyne and Wear Homes information leaflet (342kb pdf) 

Your Homes Newcastle (YHN) provides council housing on behalf of Newcastle City Council and offers modern, affordable homes to rent across the city.  When you apply for a property with Your Homes Newcastle, their Housing Options Team will support you to understand what homes are available to you. They will make sure any home you choose is affordable and can provide support so you can manage your new home successfully.

Private rented accommodation

One of the advantages of private rented accommodation is that is can give you a greater choice of location and type of property. In Newcastle you can get help to look for private rented accommodation from the Private Rented Service, which is part of Newcastle City Council. The Private Rented Service is a service that helps people find private rented accommodation by providing details of many landlords in the city as well as a weekly list of available properties. They can also help private tenants and prospective tenants with questions on how to manage a tenancy

It also operates a Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme, providing help for people who may intend to rent privately but do not have the money to give over a lump sum at the start of the tenancy.



How to find a home: Newcastle Private Rented Service and Rent Deposit Scheme (leaflet) (pdf 293Kb)

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is the name for Housing Benefit for tenants in private rented accommodation. It is the way that Housing Benefit is calculated and paid to private tenants. Different rates are paid depending on your age and household size.

How to find a home: Local Housing Allowance (leaflet) (pdf 321kb)

The Government have produced a number of online guides to help people who are renting to know their rights. These guides are updated on a regular basis and the most recent version can be found here (external link) 

Supported accommodation

To help to improve access for some of the city's most vulnerable adults in Newcastle City Council has developed a single register and access point for homelessness supported accommodation with partner commissioning and provider agencies. This is called the Newcastle Gateway. It allows statutory agencies in Newcastle to match clients with and refer clients to this type of accommodation within the city.

Access is through one of the statutory agencies within the city such as Social Care, Offender Management Services, and Mental Health services. If you do not have any involvement with one of these agencies, staff at the Housing Advice Centre can advise you further on availability and access to specific projects.

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?