Streetworks Permit Scheme


We are developing a new scheme for managing roadworks carried out by utility companies in the city.

Utility companies include gas, electricity, water and telecommunications providers.

Under the current arrangements, utility companies wishing to carry out works have to inform us of their plans.

The companies have to provide a required notice period but we have little control over the timing or the duration of those works.

New arrangements will mean that in future companies will be required to arrange time to work on the highways network by applying to us for a permit in advance.

Special arrangements would apply in the event of emergency works being needed.

Similar arrangements to give councils greater control over roadworks in their areas have are already in place in many other parts of the country.

We are working with neighbouring North East councils to develop a scheme in our area following a request from government.

It will allow for better coordination and management of roadworks, which should help to reduce disruption and ensure more accurate information is available for road users about work on the highway.


Permit Scheme Consultation

Newcastle City is currently undertaking a statutory three month consultation in relation to the proposed implementation of a permit scheme to manage street and roadworks on its highway network. The consultation began on 2 August 2019 and will conclude on 4 November 2019.  

Please find a link to the following documents:

Under the proposed permit scheme, works promoters will have to book time on the highway network by applying for a permit prior to carrying out any works. Similar schemes are also being consulted on by ten other North East authorities.  North Tyneside is the only Highways Authority in the North East that currently operates a permit scheme. A permit scheme will allow the local authority to effectively manage and coordinate essential street and roadworks.

Further information on the proposed permit scheme will be made available as the consultation progresses. 

In addition, national statutory guidance for all permit schemes in England can be found on GOV.UK.

If you have any queries, please email  


Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?