Apply for Building Regulations

Apply for Building Regulations

Building Regulations

The Building Regulations set out the acceptable standards for health and safety in and around buildings by setting functional requirements for the design, construction and alteration of buildings. The regulations also set standards to promote the energy efficiency of buildings and the needs of people with disabilities. In basic terms Building Regulations are in place to ensure that buildings are healthy and safe to live and work in.

Building regulations and planning permission are not the same and should not be confused.  These are different application processes, under different legislation and are regulated by separate Council departments.  Please refer to our planning guidance page for advice on planning permission matters.

How to apply

You can apply online using Submit a Plan. This is the Local Authority Building Control national portal for submitting Building Regulation applications online to any local authority in England.

Apply online using Submit a Plan

If you need a paper application form please contact Building Control  (contact details can be found at the bottom of the page)

Will my project need a Building Regulations Application?

Most alterations, extensions and new building work needs to comply with Building Regulations. The Building Regulations apply to many different projects from large to small. For example this could include extensions, loft conversions, garage conversions, knocking through between rooms, moving or creating a new toilet or bathroom, electrical work and window replacement.

To find out if building regulations apply to your project please see the Planning Portal interactive guide. You will also find project guides to help you understand the relevance of Building Regulations to projects.

If you are unsure whether your project needs to comply with Building Regulations please discuss this with your appointed architect / surveyor or contact the Building Control Section for advice.

How much will it cost?

Charges are made to cover the cost of the Building Regulation application service. For more information please go to our fees page.

What type of application should I submit?

If Building Regulations apply to your project you will need to submit an application to the local authority. Usually you will be able to submit your Building Regulation Application using one of two application methods known as a 'full plans' or 'building notice'.

Full Plans application:

Along with the application you need to submit full plans, once payment has been made the application and plans will be passed to the area surveyor who will vet the plans – this can take up to 5 weeks or up to 2 months if you consent to the period being extended to 2 months - after this period you will be issued with an approval, the approval is valid for the duration of 3 years, work carried out prior to the approval being issued is at your own risk.

Building Notice application:

An application needs to be submitted 48 hours prior to commencement of work, if submitting a building notice you need to ensure the work is being carried out by a competent builder who will ensure the work will be compliant with the Building Regulations/Approved Documents as the builder has no approved plans to work to.


    If you need advice you can contact the Building Control Section our office hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday.

    Telephone: 0191 211 6102


    Post: Building Control Section
    Civic Centre
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    NE1 8QH

    Go to top

    Did you know?

    Building Regulations and Planning Permission are not the same. 

    Building Regulations and Planning Permission are different application processes, under different legislation dealt with by different departments within the council. 

    For more information on Planning Permission visit the Planning Guidance page.

    Need more information?

    The Tyne and Wear Building Control guides provide information and advice to homeowners when planning building work:

    Guide to extending your home

    Guidance notes - private drains and sewerage

    External links:

    Building Act 1984
    Approved Documents

    Is this page useful?
    Is this page useful?