Benefits information

Benefits information

This information can help you find some of the benefits you may be entitled to depending on your circumstances, calculate your own benefits, deal with benefit problems and avoid getting into benefit trouble. 

It must be read alongside information on changes to benefits due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

To receive updates on homelessness prevention and financial inclusion related services, provision and changes linked to the Coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic, please subscribe to the Active Inclusion Newcastle information update.

Benefit rates 

The Government publishes details of benefit rates. 

From April 2022 - March 2022

HMRC benefits like Tax Credits and Child Benefit

DWP benefits.  Also, the legislation with the agreed rates

From April 2021 - March 2022

The Government published two sets of rates due to the temporary uplift in Universal Credit:

For details of benefit and tax credit rates now and in earlier years please visit the Rightsnet website.

What benefits can I receive in the following situations?  

Most benefits are administered by the Government's Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Others are offered via HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), the council or employers.

More detail can be found in our introduction to benefits and tax credits guide.


You may be entitled to...

Caring for someone

You may be entitled to:

See also Financial Support on Carersuk website.

Responsible for a child 

You may be entitled to:


You may be entitled to:

See also ‘caring for someone’ above

See also benefit factsheets and guides from Disability Rights UK and advice and support for families with disabled children from Contact

Incapable of work 

You may be entitled to...

See also  factsheets below: How ESA is assessed, how to complete an ESA form and how to avoid losing ESA   

See also benefit factsheets and guides from Disability Rights UK

Managing on a low income 

You may be entitled to...

See also ‘working’ and 'In urgent financial need or crisis' below

Need help with paying housing costs (rent or mortgage) or Council Tax

You may be entitled to...

Need help with NHS costs

  • See this online eligibility checking tool to see if you are entitled to free NHS prescriptions, NHS dental treatment and other NHS health costs such as sight tests
  • The NHS Low Income Scheme for help with the cost of NHS prescriptions, NHS dental treatment and more
  • A maternity exemption certificate for free NHS prescriptions (this is valid until your child is one, and can also be used to prove your entitlement to free NHS dental treatment)

An older person - of pension age 

You may be entitled to...

See also benefits for older people from AgeUK


You may be entitled to...

See also know your rights from Maternity Action

Unemployed and looking for work 

You may be entitled to...


You may be entitled to… 

Also see our factsheets ‘Benefits in work’ and ‘Redundancy, finishing work and benefits’ below 

Also see Benefits and Tax Credits from

In urgent financial need or crisis 

As well as the above weekly benefits, the DWP and jobcentre also provide single payments in certain situations, for example:

  • Budgeting loans, funeral and maternity grants from the Social Fund by the DWP 
  • Repayable 'short term benefit advances' for those waiting for a benefit payment and in financial need.
  • Under Universal Credit 'budgeting advances' replace budgeting loans and 'advance payments' replace short term benefit advances. 

See more information about help with urgent and one-off needs by the Council and others on our Debt and Money Advice page. See also Dealing with an avoiding benefit problems below 

Online benefit calculators 

Visit our page that describes the online benefits calculators and at a glance guides to get an estimate of the benefits, including Universal Credit, Tax Credits or pension that you may be able to claim

What other help am I entitled to? 

If you have mobility or accessibility issues you may be able to get your home adapted. Find out about home adaptations

If you are disabled you may be able to apply for a blue badge. Apply for a blue badge

How will the changes to the benefits system affect me? 

The government is implementing some major national changes to the benefits system. The changes will affect those who are claiming benefits for children, older people, unemployment, income support, housing, council tax help, or disabilities and ill health. Find out more about the benefit changes

Dealing with and avoiding benefit problems 

Self help factsheets and guides 

See also our Introduction to Benefits and Tax Credits guide.

Where can I go for further information and advice? 

Visit Benefit advice services in Newcastle and benefit offices
Visit the government webpage on benefits 
Visit the Citizens Advice webpages on benefits 

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?