These types of services are for people who need a high level of care and supervision, both day and night. We are committed to helping stay living in their own home or in the community for as long as possible. When planning care and support we always look at alternatives to residential and nursing care. These might include increased home care, or additional support for a carer.  We might also talk to you about a different type of accommodation such as extra care accommodation. More information is available on the Housing care page.

Residential Care

A residential care home is a place where a number of people live together, looked after by care staff who are available to provide support 24-hours a day. You would have your own bedroom, often en-suite, but would share communal facilities such as dining rooms and living rooms with other residents. Some residential care homes specialise in providing care for people with particular needs, such as dementia.

Nursing Care

Nursing care homes provide care under the supervision of qualified nursing staff. This might be needed because of physical health problems or disability, or because of mental health problems or dementia. If your assessor thinks that you might need nursing care, they would always consult with a health professional who knows you, such as your GP or District Nurse. If you receive nursing care in a care home, the NHS makes a contribution towards the cost. Please see further information on the NHS website.

If you think you might need residential or nursing care, you can request an assessment. Our assessment would look at all your needs, and would consider all the available options. If we agree that residential or nursing care is the right type of care for you, your allocated worker will explain which type of care home you need. You or your family can choose a home. Some homes charge more than standard local authority rates, and in that situation you would need to ensure there is someone who is able to pay the difference. This is called a 'third-party top-up'.


Please see information on our charging policy.

Information for self-funders

The current threshold for assistance from the council with residential care costs is £23,250. If you have savings above this amount, you can make your own arrangements to move into residential care.  However, you may wish to consider approaching us for a discussion about your options, or a full assessment. It may be that we can suggest alternative options, such as housing with care. We also recommend that you consider taking independent financial advice. Please see information about this on our Financial information and advice page.

Care homes in Newcastle

Information NOW has a list of care homes in Newcastle

Information NOW has a list of home care agencies in Newcastle

Page last updated: 
2 April 2019
Was this page useful?