Our site is in Beta Live, we welcome your feedback to help us improve the site.
Environmental health and pollution
Our role is to identify, monitor, reduce and prevent pollution of the environment as well as to protect the health of those who live and work in Newcastle upon Tyne.
We monitor air quality, inspect and permit industrial processes, assess potentially contaminated sites, enforce housing standards and provide advice and information on environmental protection issues.
Our officers investigate complaints about noise, smoke and other nuisances, waste crime, pollution, dogs and the condition of rented housing, and take enforcement action when necessary.
In 2018/19, the Public Safety and Regulation Division received and responded to over 26,700 service requests, incidents, reports and complaints.
- Animal health and licensing
- Better Business for All
- Dog fouling
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Household hazardous waste and asbestos
- Investigations and enforcement policies
- Licences and permits
- Pest control
- Private sector housing licensing
- Recycling, rubbish and waste
- Trading Standards
- Vehicles and the environment
Need more information?
Public Safety & Regulation
Newcastle upon Tyne
Telephone: 0191 278 7878
Pages in this area
- Air pollution
- Contaminated land
- Dog warden service
- Fixed penalty notices
- Health Act 2006 - Smoke-free places
- Pollution control, inspection and permitting
- Private sector housing enforcement
- Radioactive substances
- Sky lanterns and helium balloons
- Statutory nuisance
- Waste management - duty of care
- Water quality and pollution