Parking Using Check In Check Out
Parking Using Check In Check Out
Check in Check out is now operating across several of our off-street car parks. Information regarding where this payment system is available can be found via the parking prices link here. This means that you will no longer have to rush back to your car before your ticket runs out and because you can also now pay by card, you don't need to have the correct change to hand.
But how does it work? You can read our handy step-by-step instructions below
How to 'Check In' to the car park
1. On the pay and display machine, select that you wish to pay by card.
2. Insert your card into the slot or, if contactless, hover your card over the contactless reader.
3. Input your vehicle registration details into the machine as instructed.
4. You will then receive notification on the screen that you are checked in and you will receive a ticket that states you are checked in. There is no need to display this ticket - it is for your records only.
5. Details of being checked in are immediately transferred to our officers' handheld devices.
How to 'Check Out' of the car park
1. When you return to your car, go to any pay and display machine. Again, select that you wish to pay by card.
2. Insert your card into the slot or, if contactless, hover your card over the contactless reader. The same bank card must be used to check out as used to check in.
3. The display screen will advise that you are now checked out and a receipt notifying you of how much you have been charged will be printed.
Blue Badge Holders
Disabled badge holders are required to pay for their parking in all Newcastle City Council off street car parks and multi storey car parks. To use the Check in Check out Service Blue Badge holders will need to take the following steps to use the ticket machine:
How to ‘Check In’ when displaying a Blue Badge
1. Clearly display the disabled badge in the vehicle so that all the details are visible.
2. On the ticket machine screen press the ‘Blue Badge holder using Check in/out – Pay by card’ button.
3. Insert your card into the slot or, if contactless, hover your card over the contactless reader.
4. Input your vehicle registration details into the machine as instructed.
5. You will then receive notification on the screen that you are checked in and you will receive a ticket that states you are checked in. There is no need to display this ticket - it is for your records only.
6. Details of being checked in are immediately transferred to our officers' handheld devices.
Blue Badge holders will need to follow the ‘Check Out’ instructions as above.
When using this service the following concession applies for blue badge holders:
• If paying by coin blue badge holders will receive one hour’s free parking beyond the time paid for. As an example, if you have paid for parking until 10.00am, the Enforcement Officer will allow until 11.00am for you to return to the vehicle;
• If paying by card, when you check out with your payment card the amount you will be charged for the parking session will be reduced by the charge for one hour to reflect the one free hour parking for blue badge holders.
Refunds and ‘overpayments’
Please note when using the Check in Check out system (payment by card) at the car parks, at check in, a reserve – which is the value from check in until 7pm (for car parks within the Clean Air Zone or 6pm for car parks outside the Clean Air Zone) - is held against your account. This is a sliding scale, reducing each minute, so the closer to 6pm or 7pm (as informed by the parking charge period on the tariff board) you check in, the lower the reserve will be.
The reserve is to ensure your card is not lost or stolen, and to ensure there is sufficient funds in your account to cover the maximum amount of parking.
This is a pending transaction only and when a check out occurs, the exact charge is applied and the reserve is released in full. However, it may take a few days before your bank fully release the reserved funds. The speed at which the monies are released depend on your own individual bank. Ordinarily it will be the following day, but it can take up to 5 working days.
Until your bank fully releases the reserve, it may show two charges in your statement (the actual charge and the reserve), or it may show just the reserve, or it may also include the difference between the reserve and the actual charge.
Please therefore do not complete the below refund request form until at least 7 days have passed since your check out if you are seeing an overcharge in your statements.
However, if you have forgotten to check out, were unable to check out, or were not aware you had to check out when paying by card at any of the car parks where Check in Check out is in operation, or it is over a week since your check out and you are still seeing an overcharge, please complete the below online form.
This form will enable us to collect all the required information to process your refund request and allow you to attach a scanned image of any supporting evidence, such as a pay and display ticket.
Please note: the Check In / Check Out system is for same day parking only.
If you'd like to find out more about our car parks, including opening times, prices and locations, please see our Car Parks and On Street Parking page.
If there is a problem with the ticket machine you have used, please see our further information.