COVID-19 and the various measures taken to manage the virus and protect us, continue to impact everyone in Newcastle.
It is now more important than ever to ensure that Newcastle residents stay up to date with the latest guidance and advice, which aims to keep us and our city safe.
The Community Champion network is made up of a wide range of volunteers from across the city and helps residents to stay up to date on the latest guidance so they can protect themselves and others against the virus.
What we ask our Community Champions to do
- Share accurate messages from our Public Heath team within your networks in a timely manner
- Gather feedback from the community and reactions to key Public Health messages
- Attend, and contribute to, fortnightly online Champions meetings with Public Health and other council representatives via Microsoft Teams
- Use agreed social media and WhatsApp to share information quickly and effectively
- Be a positive role model and Public Health advocate
- Complete induction and any other training required for the role
- Please note that being a Community Champion is not an enforcement or regulatory role
Who we're looking for
Community Champions are residents who live or work in Newcastle that want to make a difference in their communities.
- You might be the person that everyone knows and trusts
- You might be someone who wants to help in whatever way you can - even if this is your first time volunteering
- Do you think you have the qualities, values and skills to become a Champion?
- Whoever you are – please help us to enable you to support others
- Live or work in Newcastle
- Be over 18 years old
- Be able to receive emails
- Be able to access Teams meetings
- Have access to a mobile phone
What we will do for you?
Newcastle City Council’s Public Health Team will keep Community Champions informed of the latest advice and guidance an will hold regular consultation and engagement sessions.. This will help your family, friends and other community members to make sense of the latest facts and guidance about the virus.
There will be a key contact for you to speak to if there are any issues.
If there is any training required, we will support you with this.
The purpose of the Community Champion scheme is to help ensure that residents across Newcastle hear correct and consistent information about Coronavirus to help keep them safe. We recognise that there is often debate and sometimes disagreement, but our role is to tell people what the rules are so they can work out how to apply them to their everyday lives. Therefore, as a Community Champion, you are asked to sign a pledge, which requires that any information or advice you circulate comes from the council or the government. You do not make political statements in respect of the Coronavirus arrangements. You do not debate the merits of the guidance, or criticise the government, council, or partners – if somebody is incorrect, simply signpost to the correct information. This is to ensure that key messages are not undermined. You must not apply your own interpretation of the guidelines – if in doubt, please ask the council for clarification.
How to become a Community Champion
You can sign up to become a Community Champion by completing an online form, please click on the button below.