Newcastle City Council operates approximately 2,200 on-street parking places.
Parking Charges on street tariffs 185kb (pdf)
Parking charges on the street in Newcastle city centre are operational every day of the week, with charges also applying on certain days in areas outside the city centre. Charges apply throughout the year, including Bank Holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day, 25 December.
From Monday 18 May 2020 parking charges in the pay and display bays in on-street charged parking areas have been reintroduced following the Government announcement regarding those who are unable to work from home to return to work.
Healthcare workers will continue to park free of charge.
Further information regarding the latest position can be found here
The method of charging for parking on the street is as follows:
Payment at a ticket machine or by cashless parking at the locations where payment by mobile phone was introduced from Monday 19 September 2016. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, on the days for the location, as indicated on the ticket machine. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, every day in the City Centre. These charges also apply between 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday outside of the City Centre. Motorists are required to pay the appropriate fee between these hours. Details of the charges and any maximum stay periods can be found on each ticket machine.
If you encounter a problem or think you have been mischarged whilst using the Paybyphone service, please contact Paybyphone by email to email@example.com, so they can investigate and arrange to make payment of an overcharge to the account payment was taken from.
The Alive after Five initiative that operates in most of the Council operated multi-storey car parks does not apply for on-street parking areas. Further details about Alive after Five can be found here.
Motorists are advised to carry a supply of coins as the ticket machines generally take 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The ticket machines do not give change. Ticket machines are subject to an increased frequency of cleaning to help limit the spread of coronavirus and customers are reminded to maintain social distancing if queueing for ticket machines. Many on-street charged parking areas have the option of contactless payment via your mobile phone and motorists are encouraged to use this payment channel.
Current road closures/event parking/suspended bays affecting access to on-street parking areas:
- Until further notice there is reduced capacity in the loading bay and dual use pay and display/taxi bays on the south side of Shakespeare Street for the introduction of social distancing measures;
- Until 11 October 2020 the capacity of pay and display bays on St Andrews Street Lower have been reserved from general use;
- Until 21 October 2020 the capacity of pay and display bays on Clavering Arch and Forth Street and the disabled bay on Forth Street have been reserved from general use;
- Heritage Open Day events are being held at Summerhill Bowling Club on Winchester Terrace between 11 September 2020 and 20 September 2020. This venue lies within a permit parking zone (WG2) where permit scheme restrictions apply all days, all times. The closest off street parking is at Blandford Square; Cross Villa and Grainger Town car parks;
- Until 23 September 2020 a pay and display bay on Ridley Place will be reserved from general use;
- Until 19 September 2020 4 spaces within a loading bay on Nun Street will be reserved from general use to support scaffolding work in the area;
- Until 20 September 2020 2 pay and display bays on St Andrews Street Lower have been reserved to support construction work;
- Until 31 December 2020 2 pay and display bays on Lombard Street will be reserved from general use due to the siting of a cabin and storage for construction work;
- From 30 July 2020 until further notice there will be a reduced number of pay and display bays and a loading bay available on the East side of Grey Street (where traffic goes down towards Dean Street and the Quayside), due to physical works to the road network and pavement areas taking place to support the introduction of new social measures and safer cycling routes; All bays on the West side (where traffic went up towards the Monument) have been removed as part of the physical works;
- Until further notice the capacity of pay and display bays on Devonshire Terrace will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- Until further notice the capacity of pay and display bays on Quayside West will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- From 28 May 2020 until further notice all pay and display bays on Queen Victoria Road and St Thomas Terrace have been suspended from general use. This is due to road layout changes being made at these locations.
- Until further notice, on Pitt Street there will be a reduced number of pay and display bays and 1 loading bay and 1 disabled bay have been suspended as part of an ongoing reservation.
- Due to a construction project, the entire length of Rutherford Street will be closed until further notice.
- Heritage Open Days are being held at the Guildhall between 11 September 2020 and 20 September 2020. The Guildhall car park is reserved for permit holders only or there are 2 disabled bays within the car park for use by blue badge holders. The nearest disabled bays to the location are at Quayside west and Close Swing Bridge car park. Pay and display parking is available in the area at a variety of on-street locations including Akenside Hill; King Street; Lombard Street; Quayside West; Quayside; Queen Street and Watergate;
- Heritage Open Days are being held at the Literature and Philosophical Society on Westgate Road between 11 September 2020 and 20 September 2020. Pay and display parking is available in the area at a variety of on-street parking locations including Castle Garth; Clavering Arch; Forth Street; Side and Westgate Road
Visit our Permit Parking Schemes page for everything you need to know about areas where permit parking schemes operate and how to apply for permits if you live in an eligible property.
On-street parking provision in Newcastle
Details of on-street parking provision (as advised by the adjacent sign).
- Parking Charges on street tariffs 17.10.2019.pdf (pdf, 122kb)
- On-street disabled bays 13.07.2020.pdf (pdf, 156kb)
- Loading bays (pdf, 118kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Taxi (pdf, 50kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Motorcycle (pdf, 30kb)
- Bicycle bays (pdf, 14kb)
- Taxi bays (pdf, 84.9kb)
- Motorcycle bays (pdf, 85kb)
- Shopmobility (pdf, 28kb)