Newcastle City Council operates approximately 2,200 on-street parking places.
Map of council operated car parks and pay and display bays in the city centre . Please note that due to ongoing changes across our network of parking bays that you should cross-reference the map against the detailed car park information in case of temporary or permanent closure of a car park or the suspension of parking bays.
Parking Charges on street tariffs 185kb (pdf)
Parking charges on the street in Newcastle city centre are operational every day of the week, with charges also applying on certain days in areas outside the city centre. Charges apply throughout the year, including Bank Holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day, 25 December.
From Monday 18 May 2020 parking charges in the pay and display bays in on-street charged parking areas have been reintroduced following the Government announcement regarding those who are unable to work from home to return to work.
Healthcare workers will continue to park free of charge.
Further information regarding the latest position can be found here
The method of charging for parking on the street is as follows:
Payment at a ticket machine or by cashless parking at the locations where payment by mobile phone was introduced from Monday 19 September 2016. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, on the days for the location, as indicated on the ticket machine. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, every day in the City Centre. These charges also apply between 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday outside of the City Centre. Motorists are required to pay the appropriate fee between these hours. Details of the charges and any maximum stay periods can be found on each ticket machine.
If you encounter a problem or think you have been mischarged whilst using the Paybyphone service, please contact Paybyphone by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, so they can investigate and arrange to make payment of an overcharge to the account payment was taken from.
The Alive after Five initiative that operates in most of the Council operated multi-storey car parks does not apply for on-street parking areas. Further details about Alive after Five can be found here.
Motorists are advised to carry a supply of coins as the ticket machines generally take 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The ticket machines do not give change. Ticket machines are subject to an increased frequency of cleaning to help limit the spread of coronavirus and customers are reminded to maintain social distancing if queueing for ticket machines. Many on-street charged parking areas have the option of contactless payment via your mobile phone and motorists are encouraged to use this payment channel.
Current road closures/event parking/suspended bays affecting access to on-street parking areas:
Until further notice/long-term:
- From 30 July 2020 until further notice there will be a reduced number of pay and display bays and a loading bay available on the East side of Grey Street (where traffic goes down towards Dean Street and the Quayside), due to physical works to the road network and pavement areas taking place to support the introduction of new social measures and safer cycling routes; all bays on the West side (where traffic went up towards the Monument) have been removed as part of the physical works;
- From 23 November 2020 for a period of 18 months, there will be reduced capacity of pay and display bays on Tankerville Terrace due to the introduction of social distancing measures;
- From 23 November 2020 for a period of 18 months, the disabled bay on Tankerville Terrace will be suspended from use due to the introduction of social distancing measures. The next nearest disabled bay is located on Burdon Terrace;
- From 11 January 2021 for 26 weeks 3 pay and display bays on Bath Lane from Citygate car park to Stowell Street have been reserved due to highway works;
- Until further notice all bays on Grey Street have been reserved from general use due to work being undertaken to widen the footpaths;
- Until further notice there is reduced capacity in the loading bay and dual use pay and display/taxi bays on the south side of Shakespeare Street for the introduction of social distancing measures;
- Until further notice a loading bay on the east side of Pilgrim Street closest to the 55 Degrees North roundabout has been reserved from general use.
- Until 11 April 2022 2 pay and display bays on King Street outside Sabatini’s restaurant have been reserved from general use;
- Until 11 April 2022 5 pay and display bays on High Bridge Square have been reserved for a pavement café to be installed outside Baltic 39.
- Until 19 April 2021 2 pay and display bays outside 7 Collingwood Street have been reserved for building work;
- On 19 April 2021 a loading bay on Orchard Street has been reserved from general use;
- Until 30 April 2021 1 pay and display bay on Side has been reserved from general use:
- Until 30 April 2021 4 spaces within a disabled bay on St Andrews Street Upper have been reserved to allow wagons access to a building site;
- Until 5 May 2021 6 resident permit bays on Bayswater Road have been reserved from general use;
- Until 14 May 2021 2 pay and display bays on Groat market have been reserved from general use;
- Until 28 May 2021 2 pay and display bays on Devonshire Terrace have been reserved from general use;
- From 28 May 2020 until further notice all pay and display bays on Queen Victoria Road and St Thomas Terrace have been suspended from general use. This is due to road layout changes being made at these locations.
- Until 12 July 2021 2 pay and display bays outside the Theatre Royal stage door on Shakespeare Street have been reserved from general use;
- Until 17 July 2021, 4 limited stay bays on Hume Street will be reserved from general use.
Visit our Permit Parking Schemes page for everything you need to know about areas where permit parking schemes operate and how to apply for permits if you live in an eligible property.
On-street parking provision in Newcastle
Details of on-street parking provision (as advised by the adjacent sign).
- Parking Charges on street tariffs 17.10.2019.pdf (pdf, 122kb)
- On-street disabled bays 13.07.2020.pdf (pdf, 156kb)
- Loading bays (pdf, 118kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Taxi (pdf, 50kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Motorcycle (pdf, 30kb)
- Bicycle bays (pdf, 14kb)
- Taxi bays (pdf, 84.9kb)
- Motorcycle bays (pdf, 85kb)
- Shopmobility (pdf, 28kb)