Newcastle City Council operates approximately 2,200 on-street parking places.
Parking Charges on street tariffs 185kb (pdf)
Parking charges on the street in Newcastle city centre are operational every day of the week, with charges also applying on certain days in areas outside the city centre. Charges apply throughout the year, including Bank Holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day, 25 December.
From Monday 18 May 2020 parking charges in the pay and display bays in on-street charged parking areas have been reintroduced following the Government announcement regarding those who are unable to work from home to return to work.
Healthcare workers will continue to park free of charge.
Further information regarding the latest position can be found here
The method of charging for parking on the street is as follows:
Payment at a ticket machine or by cashless parking at the locations where payment by mobile phone was introduced from Monday 19 September 2016. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, on the days for the location, as indicated on the ticket machine. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, every day in the City Centre. These charges also apply between 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday outside of the City Centre. Motorists are required to pay the appropriate fee between these hours. Details of the charges and any maximum stay periods can be found on each ticket machine.
If you encounter a problem or think you have been mischarged whilst using the Paybyphone service, please contact Paybyphone by email to email@example.com, so they can investigate and arrange to make payment of an overcharge to the account payment was taken from.
The Alive after Five initiative that operates in most of the Council operated multi-storey car parks does not apply for on-street parking areas. Further details about Alive after Five can be found here.
Motorists are advised to carry a supply of coins as the ticket machines generally take 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The ticket machines do not give change. Ticket machines are subject to an increased frequency of cleaning to help limit the spread of coronavirus and customers are reminded to maintain social distancing if queueing for ticket machines. Many on-street charged parking areas have the option of contactless payment via your mobile phone and motorists are encouraged to use this payment channel.
Current road closures/event parking/suspended bays affecting access to on-street parking areas:
- Until further notice there is reduced capacity in the loading bay and dual use pay and display/taxi bays on the south side of Shakespeare Street for the introduction of social distancing measures;
- Until further notice the capacity of pay and display bays on Clavering Arch and Forth Street and the disabled bay on Forth Street have been reserved from general use due to road works;
- From 23 November 2020 for a period of 18 months, there will be reduced capacity of pay and display bays on Tankerville Terrace due to the introduction of social distancing measures;
- From 23 November 2020 for a period of 18 months, the disabled bay on Tankerville Terrace will be suspended from use due to the introduction of social distancing measures. The next nearest disabled bay is located on Burdon Terrace;
- On 24 November 2020 all of the bays on the east side of Brentwood avenue between Forsyth Road and Oakland Road (including permit bays; limited stay bays and pay and display bays) have been reserved due to TV filming in the vicinity;
- Until 24 November 2020 8 permit bays on Linden Road have been reserved from general use;
- Until 26 November 2020 2 pay and display bays on Shakespeare Street have been reserved by The Theatre Royal;
- Until 27 November 2020 4 pay and display bays have been reserved by Northumbrian Water;
- Until 27 November 2020 a pay and display bay in Library Service Area has been reserved from general use;
- Until 02 December 2020 5 permit bays on West Avenue have been reserved to support sewer repair works;
- From 05 December 2020 for every Saturday and Sunday between 8.00am and 5.00pm for 10 weeks (until 07 February 2021) the Quayside market will be in operation. This will mean that the pay and display bays; disabled bay and loading bay on Quayside will not be available for the general public to use during these times.
• The closest pay and display bays are on Broad Chare; King Street; Lombard Street or Queen Street;
• The closest disabled bays are on Broad Chare near to the junction with Quayside and on Akenside Hill underneath the Tyne Bridge;
• The closest goods vehicle loading bays are located at King Street; Lombard Street and Queen Street;
- Until 11 December 2020, between Monday and Friday, 2 pay and display bays and a loading bay on College Street adjacent to the City Hall will be reserved from general use;
- Due to road closures in the Lime Street area access to these parking places will be affected between these dates and times - from 5.00pm on Friday 11 December 2020 and 7.00am on Monday 14 December 2020 and from 5.00pm on Friday 18 December 2020 and 7.00am on Monday 21 December 2020:
• Reduced capacity of pay and display and disabled bays on Lime Street;
• No access to the Car Club bay and vehicle on Lime Street;
• No access to Electric Vehicle charging bay on Lime Street;
• No access to the Car Club bay; disabled bay and Electric vehicle charging bay on Ouseburn Road;
• The nearest disabled bay is located at McPhee’s car park;
• During these times a car Club vehicle will be allowed to park in the nearest available pay and display bay as a temporary measure;
• The nearest Electric Vehicle charging bay is located at Quayside Multi-Storey Car Park
- Until 18 December 2020 5 permit bays on Hawthorn Road, Gosforth have been reserved. This is a rolling reservation to support the installation of fibre cables so the bays that are reserved will be moved along the street as work is completed;
- Until 18 December 2020, 2 pay and display bays on Devonshire Terrace will be reserved from general use;
- Until 31 December 2020 2 pay and display bays on Lombard Street will be reserved from general use due to the siting of a cabin and storage for construction work;
- From 28 May 2020 until further notice all pay and display bays on Queen Victoria Road and St Thomas Terrace have been suspended from general use. This is due to road layout changes being made at these locations.
- From 30 July 2020 until further notice there will be a reduced number of pay and display bays and a loading bay available on the East side of Grey Street (where traffic goes down towards Dean Street and the Quayside), due to physical works to the road network and pavement areas taking place to support the introduction of new social measures and safer cycling routes; All bays on the West side (where traffic went up towards the Monument) have been removed as part of the physical works;
- Until 08 March 2021 a welfare storage unit will be sited in a permit limited stay bay on Boyd Street;
- Until 17 July 2021, 4 limited stay bays on Hume Street will be reserved from general use;
- Until further notice the capacity of pay and display bays on Devonshire Terrace will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- Until further notice the capacity of pay and display bays on Quayside West will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- Until further notice, on Pitt Street there will be a reduced number of pay and display bays and 1 loading bay and 1 disabled bay have been suspended as part of an ongoing reservation.
- Due to a construction project, the entire length of Rutherford Street will be closed until further notice.
Visit our Permit Parking Schemes page for everything you need to know about areas where permit parking schemes operate and how to apply for permits if you live in an eligible property.
On-street parking provision in Newcastle
Details of on-street parking provision (as advised by the adjacent sign).
- Parking Charges on street tariffs 17.10.2019.pdf (pdf, 122kb)
- On-street disabled bays 13.07.2020.pdf (pdf, 156kb)
- Loading bays (pdf, 118kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Taxi (pdf, 50kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Motorcycle (pdf, 30kb)
- Bicycle bays (pdf, 14kb)
- Taxi bays (pdf, 84.9kb)
- Motorcycle bays (pdf, 85kb)
- Shopmobility (pdf, 28kb)