Newcastle City Council operates approximately 2,200 on-street parking places.
Parking Charges on street tariffs 185kb (pdf)
Parking charges on the street in Newcastle city centre are operational every day of the week, with charges also applying on certain days in areas outside the city centre. Charges apply throughout the year, including Bank Holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day, 25 December.
From Monday 18 May 2020 parking charges in the pay and display bays in on-street charged parking areas have been reintroduced following the Government announcement regarding those who are unable to work from home to return to work.
Healthcare workers will continue to park free of charge.
Further information regarding the latest position can be found here
The method of charging for parking on the street is as follows:
Payment at a ticket machine or by cashless parking at the locations where payment by mobile phone was introduced from Monday 19 September 2016. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, on the days for the location, as indicated on the ticket machine. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, every day in the City Centre. These charges also apply between 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday outside of the City Centre. Motorists are required to pay the appropriate fee between these hours. Details of the charges and any maximum stay periods can be found on each ticket machine.
If you encounter a problem or think you have been mischarged whilst using the Paybyphone service, please contact Paybyphone by email to email@example.com, so they can investigate and arrange to make payment of an overcharge to the account payment was taken from.
The Alive after Five initiative that operates in most of the Council operated multi-storey car parks does not apply for on-street parking areas. Further details about Alive after Five can be found here.
Motorists are advised to carry a supply of coins as the ticket machines generally take 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The ticket machines do not give change. Ticket machines are subject to an increased frequency of cleaning to help limit the spread of coronavirus and customers are reminded to maintain social distancing if queueing for ticket machines. Many on-street charged parking areas have the option of contactless payment via your mobile phone and motorists are encouraged to use this payment channel.
Current road closures/event parking/suspended bays affecting access to on-street parking areas:
- From 01 July 2020 to 03 July 2020 space within a loading bay on Nun Street will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- From 01 July 2020 to 31 July 2020 space within a loading bay outside the Red Cross Shop will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- From 02 July 2020 to 07 August 2020 the capacity of pay and display bays on Queen Street will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- On 02 July 2020 the capacity of pay and display bays on Leazes Terrace will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- Until 31 July 2020 the capacity of pay and display bays on Collingwood Street will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- Until 07 July 2020 the capacity of pay and display bays on Ridley Place will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- Until 08 July 2020 the capacity of permit bays on Summerhill Grove will be reduced due to a parking reservation;
- From 28 May 2020 until further notice all pay and display bays on Queen Victoria Road and St Thomas Terrace have been suspended from general use. This is due to road layout changes being made at these locations.
- From 26 May 2020 until further notice the capacity of pay and display bays on Westgate Road near Bolbec Hall will be reduced due to a parking reservation.
- From 08 June 2020 until 12 July 2020 the capacity for parking for permit holders on Devonshire Place will be reduced due to a parking reservation.
- Until further notice, on Pitt Street there will be a reduced number of pay and display bays and 1 loading bay and 1 disabled bay have been suspended as part of an ongoing reservation.
- Due to a construction project, the entire length of Rutherford Street will be closed until further notice.
Visit our Permit Parking Schemes page for everything you need to know about areas where permit parking schemes operate and how to apply for permits if you live in an eligible property.
On-street parking provision in Newcastle
Details of on-street parking provision (as advised by the adjacent sign).
- Parking Charges on street tariffs 17.10.2019.pdf (pdf, 122kb)
- On-street disabled bays 23.09.19.pdf (pdf, 158kb)
- Loading bays (pdf, 118kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Taxi (pdf, 50kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Motorcycle (pdf, 30kb)
- Bicycle bays (pdf, 14kb)
- Taxi bays (pdf, 84.9kb)
- Motorcycle bays (pdf, 85kb)
- Shopmobility (pdf, 28kb)