Newcastle City Council operates approximately 2,200 on-street parking places.
Parking Charges on street tariffs 185kb (pdf)
Parking charges on the street in Newcastle city centre are operational every day of the week, with charges also applying on certain days in areas outside the city centre. Charges apply throughout the year, including Bank Holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day, 25 December.
To support workers who are driving to work to provide services to fight the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, parking charges in pay and display bays across the city have been suspended until 14 April 2020. Motorists are advised that restrictions for other types of bays, such as disabled bays, taxi bays, loading bays and yellow line waiting restrictions remain in place.
The method of charging for parking on the street is as follows:
Payment at a ticket machine or by cashless parking at the locations where payment by mobile phone was introduced from Monday 19 September 2016. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, on the days for the location, as indicated on the ticket machine. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, every day in the City Centre. These charges also apply between 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday outside of the City Centre. Motorists are required to pay the appropriate fee between these hours. Details of the charges and any maximum stay periods can be found on each ticket machine.
If you encounter a problem or think you have been mischarged whilst using the Paybyphone service, please contact Paybyphone by email to email@example.com, so they can investigate and arrange to make payment of an overcharge to the account payment was taken from.
The Alive after Five initiative that operates in most of the Council operated multi-storey car parks does not apply for on-street parking areas. Further details about Alive after Five can be found here.
Motorists are advised to carry a supply of coins as the ticket machines generally take 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The ticket machines do not give change.
Current road closures/event parking/suspended bays affecting access to on-street parking areas:
- Until further notice, on Pitt Street there will be a reduced number of pay and display bays and 1 loading bay and 1 disabled bay have been suspended as part of an ongoing reservation.
- Due to a construction project, the entire length of Rutherford Street will be closed until 05 November 2020.
- From Wednesday 22 January 2020, the motor cycle bay on Hood Street will be out of general service until further notice due to a parking reservation. Motor cycle bay parking is available at the following Multi-storey off-street car parks - Dean Street; Eldon Garden; Eldon Square and Oxford.
- From 28 October 2019 until the completion of highway maintenance work, Clayton Street will be closed between the junctions with Westgate Road and Newgate Street and between the junctions with Nun Street and Newgate Street due to re-surfacing work and the re-application of road markings. This will affect access to goods vehicle loading bays; electric vehicle charging bays; taxi bays; pay and display bays and disabled bays.
- From 02 March 2020 until 25 October 2020 on Collingwood Street there will be reduced capacity of pay and display bays and the goods vehicle loading bay will be unavailable for use due to construction work in the area. Alternative goods vehicle bays can be found at Cloth Market, Groat Market and St Nicholas Street.
- Two loading bays on Grey Street have been reserved from general use until further notice.
Visit our Permit Parking Schemes page for everything you need to know about areas where permit parking schemes operate and how to apply for permits if you live in an eligible property.
On-street parking provision in Newcastle
Details of on-street parking provision (as advised by the adjacent sign).
- Parking Charges on street tariffs 17.10.2019.pdf (pdf, 122kb)
- On-street disabled bays 23.09.19.pdf (pdf, 158kb)
- Loading bays (pdf, 118kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Taxi (pdf, 50kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Motorcycle (pdf, 30kb)
- Bicycle bays (pdf, 14kb)
- Taxi bays (pdf, 84.9kb)
- Motorcycle bays (pdf, 85kb)
- Shopmobility (pdf, 28kb)