Newcastle City Council operates approximately 2,200 on-street parking places.
Parking Charges on street tariffs 09.08.2019.pdf (pdf, 122kb)
Parking charges on the street in Newcastle city centre are operational every day of the week, with charges also applying on certain days in areas outside the city centre. Charges apply throughout the year, including Bank Holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day, 25 December.
The method of charging for parking on the street is as follows:
Payment at a ticket machine or by cashless parking at the locations where payment by mobile phone was introduced from Monday 19 September 2016. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, on the days for the location, as indicated on the ticket machine. These charges apply between 8am and 6.30pm, every day in the City Centre. These charges also apply between 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday outside of the City Centre. Motorists are required to pay the appropriate fee between these hours. Details of the charges and any maximum stay periods can be found on each ticket machine.
If you encounter a problem or think you have been mischarged whilst using the Paybyphone service, please contact Paybyphone by email to email@example.com, so they can investigate and arrange to make payment of an overcharge to the account payment was taken from.
The Alive after Five initiative that operates in most of the Council operated multi-storey car parks does not apply for on-street parking areas. Further details about Alive after Five can be found here.
Motorists are advised to carry a supply of coins as the ticket machines generally take 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The ticket machines do not give change.
Current road closures/event parking/suspended bays affecting access to on-street parking areas:
- Due to a construction project, the entire length of Rutherford Street will be closed until 05 November 2020;
- On 20 September 2019 the loading bay will be unavailable for public use and there will be reduced capacity for pay and display bays on Fenkle Street. On 21 September 2019, all bays on Fenkle Street (including pay and display bays; loading bay; disabled bay and motorcycle bay) will be unavailable due to a parking reservation;
- The motorcycle bay on Hood Street will be reserved from general use between 23 September 2019 and 27 September 2019 inclusive;
- Road closures will be in place on Shakespeare Street on the following dates and times to allow for the safe loading and unloading of equipment into the Theatre Royal. During these periods there will be no access to the pay and display bays; loadings bays; taxi bays and disabled bays:
- 06 October 2019 between 0.01am and 6.00pm;
- 13 October 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am;
- 20 October 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am;
- 27 October 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am;
- 29 October 2019 between 10.00pm and 8.00am on 30 October 2019;
- 30 October 2019 between 10.00pm and 8.00am on 31 October 2019;
- 31 October 2019 between 10.00pm and 8.00am on 01 November 2019;
- 02 November 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am;
- 03 November 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am;
- 10 November 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am;
- 17 November 2019 between 0.01am and 8.00am and between 2.00pm and 10.00pm
- The capacity of pay and display bays at Pudding Chare will be subject to intermittent reductions until 11 November 2019, due to parking reservations.
Visit our Permit Parking Schemes page for everything you need to know about areas where permit parking schemes operate and how to apply for permits if you live in an eligible property.
On-street parking provision in Newcastle
Details of on-street parking provision (as advised by the adjacent sign).
- Parking Charges on street tariffs 09.08.2019.pdf (pdf, 122kb)
- On-street disabled bays 23.09.19.pdf (pdf, 158kb)
- Loading bays (pdf, 118kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Taxi (pdf, 50kb)
- Shared use bays - Loading / Motorcycle (pdf, 30kb)
- Bicycle bays (pdf, 14kb)
- Taxi bays (pdf, 84.9kb)
- Motorcycle bays (pdf, 85kb)
- Shopmobility (pdf, 28kb)