Newcastle City Council operates 8 city centre multi-storey car parks and 47 surface car parks. The Alive after Five initiative supports the evening economy for businesses in the city centre by providing free parking in all council operated multi-storey car parks after 5pm from Monday to Saturday (with the exception of Stadium car park). There are bays within the car parks, such as Citypark permit bays; electric vehicle charging bays; car club bays and disabled bays where the Alive after Five promotion does not apply as these bays are reserved for certain motorists only. Alive after Five is not in operation in any of the Council operated surface car parks and the tariff boards will confirm charging periods.
For general queries regarding areas where you can park please contact Parking Services on 0191 261 4503 (between 8.00am and 6.00pm, all days).
Map of car parks in the city centre (PDF, 1.62Mb) Please note that due to ongoing changes across our network of car parks you should cross-reference the map against the detailed car park information in case of temporary or permanent closure of a car park.
If you are a regular user of the City Centre car parks then you may be interested in a City Park permit.
Car park advertising
There are 6 sheet, A0 and A3 poster advertising boxes are available across the network of Council operated Multi Storey car parks in the city centre. If you are interested in promoting your business to customers using these busy facilities please contact Jacqueline Huston, Sponsorship Officer via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0191 277 8913 for details of availability and costs.
Advertisements can also be placed on the reverse of over 4 million pay and display tickets issued from ticket machines in car parks and charged parking areas on-street. If your company or organisation would like to explore the option of placing an advertisement in this way to reach customers, please contact Anthony Comfort of Paperwork UK by email to AnthonyComfort@paperworkuk.ltd.uk or by telephone on 01754 613120.
Information on car parks and off street parking (pdf, 47kb) - charges, opening hours, postcodes, etc.
Current closures and restrictions in place and event parking
- Drivers are recommended to drive with care when entering and leaving the Civic Centre underground car park as there is ongoing refurbishment work within the car park. Maintenance work will be ongoing in this car park until August 2019 and during this period there will be reduced capacity in the car park while some bays are taken out of service.
- On match days at St James’ Park the Stadium car park will be suspended from general use to support match day activities. Holders of Citypark permits for this car park will be able to use the permit in any Newcastle City Council operated car park on these dates. Due to road closures around the Stadium drivers are advised that they may face delays accessing and exiting car parks in the area. The next confirmed match dates at St James’ Park are: Saturday 22 December; Wednesday 02 January; Saturday 19 January and Tuesday 29 January
- A section of Trafalgar Street between the footbridge over the Central Motorway and Manors Metro Station, which is private unadopted land, will be permanently closed from 20 September 2018. From this point on, Manors Multi-Storey Car Park will only be accessible from the Melbourne Street end of Trafalgar Street.
- Motorists are advised that from Sunday 23rd September 2018 the Civic Centre Registrars car park will be closed until further notice, in order to facilitate ongoing repairs and maintenance.
- All pay and display bays in St James Metro car park will be taken out of service between 15 November 2018 and 16 December 2018 inclusive as the bays will be used to support the operation of Markets in the city centre. The bays reserved for use by blue badge holders and holders of permits issued by the Sandman Hotel only will remain in operation throughout this period.
- At Osborne Terrace car park the availability of pay and display bays will be reduced on Wednesday 12 December 2018 and the capacity of permit bays will be reduced on Thursday 13 December 2018, due to essential maintenance work in the car park. Holders of Citypark permits for this car park can use either available pay and display bays in this car park or St George’s car park on Thursday 13 December 2018.
- All pay and display bays in Leazes Park Road car park will be suspended from general use on Sunday 09 December 2018 and Wednesday 02 January 2019 to support televised broadcast of matches at St James’ Park. On these dates, access for blue badge holders to park in the disabled bays only within the car park will remain in place.
Using our car parks
Motorists are strongly advised to read the tariff board next to the ticket machine for details of the exact charges; the times that charges apply and opening times, as these vary between car parks and are subject to change. Motorists also need to be aware of the terms and conditions of use of the car park to avoid being issued with a Penalty Charge Notice and these are displayed on each tariff board within the car park.
Whilst maximum stays operate in many on-street areas and are designed for a quicker turnaround of vehicles, off-street car parks can be used for longer-term parking, with details on tariff boards of the hourly rates or flat rates that would apply for the length of time that your vehicle is parked. PayByPhone cashless parking is also available across the network of our city centre car parks and may provide a convenient method of paying for a longer stay. Cashless parking by using a contactless payment method with your payment card is also being trialled at Eldon Square and Eldon Garden Multi-Storey Car parks.
Some bays within the car park are reserved for certain types of motorists only, such as disabled blue badge holders; motorcycle bays; electric vehicle charging bays and Citypark permit holders. Please check carefully for any signage for the bay in which you park – this can be displayed at differing height levels depending upon the configuration of the car park.
Motorists should carry a supply of coins as the ticket machines generally take 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The ticket machines do not give change. Payment cannot be made at the ticket machines by cash notes or by credit or debit card, (except for a current trail of contactless payment by payment card at Eldon Square and Eldon Garden car parks), but cashless payments are possible via mobile phone at participating car parks as detailed here.
Vehicles parked and clearly displaying a valid blue badge in the correct manner can park free of charge in all Newcastle City Council operated car parks in disabled bays and pay-and-display bays. The blue badge does not provide exemption from other bays reserved from general use, such as Citypark permit bays.
Please note that payment can be made at the ticket machine or by mobile phone (at participating pay by phone car parks) during the period where no charge is due if you plan to leave your vehicle at this car park into the chargeable period.
If you encounter a problem or think you have been mischarged whilst using the Paybyphone service, please contact Paybyphone by email to email@example.com, so they can investigate and arrange to make payment of an overcharge to the account payment was taken from.
If you believe you have been overcharged whilst using the Check in-Check out system at Eldon Square or Eldon Garden car parks please complete the online form available here. This form will enable us to collect all the required information to process your refund request and allow you to attach a scanned image of any supporting evidence, such as a pay and display ticket.
On arrival at an off-street car part a pay-and-display ticket should be purchased from a machine and displayed clearly. If payment by mobile phone is available in the car park you may choose this method of payment. Alternatively a valid permit should be displayed.
Many of our car parks have been awarded the Park Mark Safer Parking award. Park Mark looks to ensure safer parking for locations that have met the requirements of a risk assessment conducted by the Police by reducing crime and the fear of crime in parking facilities.
The Disabled Parking Accreditation is owned by Disabled Motoring UK and is managed by the British Parking Association. The award recognises that the car park operator provides accessible bays and facilities for disabled people; can use the car park with ease and reduce disabled bay abuse.
HGV and coach parking
There is one HGV and coach park on Ord Street by the Metro Radio Arena. For further information, please contact the Parking Department on 0191 261 4503.
Parking for motorhomes
Newcastle Parking Services make every effort to cater to requests for motorhomes to be parked within one of the council run car parks.
So that your motorhome can be parked safely and legally and to avoid difficulties, please contact the Parking Enforcement Supervisors in the first instance on 0191 277 2739 to discuss the size of the vehicle to be parked and the area that you would like to park it in.
Details of height restrictions for multi-storey car parks can be found below. The HGV parking facility at Ord Street, NE4 7AD can also be used for parking a motorhome.
Vehicle size restrictions
There is a condition of use of the car parks operated by Newcastle City Council that vehicles exceeding a maximum weight of 1524kg or a length of 6.1 metres may not use the car park facility.
The following height restrictions are in place at multi-storey car parks operated by Newcastle City Council. Please note that no height restrictions are in place across the network of open-air surface car parks.
|Car park||Height Restriction (Feet)||Height Restriction (Metres)|
|Civic Centre underground (public parking on weekends and Bank Holidays)||7ft||2.13m|
|Dean Street||6ft 7in||2.01m|
|Eldon Garden||6ft 6in||1.98m|
|Eldon Square||6ft 6in||1.98m|
|Grainger Town||6ft 10in||2.08m|
Off-street parking VAT number
Please note that if you wish to claim parking expenses from your employer the VAT registration number for Newcastle City Council Off-Street car parks is 178208251.